Did I witness dead orthodoxy today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earl40

Puritan Board Professor
I understand we have great leeway in burying the dead and weddings, in that there is no prescribed rite in the bible for either. Now in stating this I believe I just saw what "dead orthodoxy" looks like with the funeral of Prince Philip. Was the name of Jesus mentioned once? I admit I did not pay close attention.

His name was mentioned. The benediction was in the name of Father, Son, and Spirit.

After reading the apocrypha in Ecclesiastus, they read from John 11:21-27, Christ proclaiming himself to be the resurrection and the life.

I'm not a fan of Anglican worship, but I admit I was happy to hear no mention of Mary.

We watched it. Great learning opportunity for the children. Most in history have never witnessed a royal funeral in this fashion.

How symbolic too that instead of a hearse, they transported the casket in an old WWII army truck.

I didn’t watch the service but this would not surprise me in the least.

It’s as if the chief concern in my country is one of toleration and not offending anyone or their beliefs. I noticed this since I came to faith in Christ and I don’t think it’s anything particularly new. It seems to me that much of the Church of England is quite content in “dead orthodoxy”.

Last edited:
I understand we have great leeway in burying the dead and weddings, in that there is no prescribed rite in the bible for either. Now in stating this I believe I just saw what "dead orthodoxy" looks like with the funeral of Prince Philip. Was the name of Jesus mentioned once? I admit I did not pay close attention.
Were cameras allowed in the chapel? I've not seen any footage of the actual service.

I will add importantly that there are still many faithful churches within and without the CofE for which I am truly thankful. And I am also thankful that the word of God is heard regardless.

If you think this was something, just wait until it's Elizabeth's turn. She'll get the full $10 state funeral. They'll pull out all the stops. No one does pomp and circumstance like the Brits.

I saw that former Archbishop of York, John Sentamu interviewed on the BBC before the funeral and he spoke of the need for trusting in Christ and of knowing the Bible.

I saw that former Archbishop of York, John Sentamu interviewed on the BBC before the funeral and he spoke of the need for trusting in Christ and of knowing the Bible.

That is good. The Queen herself gives encouraging remarks concerning Christ at the time of Christmas. I’m just generally disappointed in how vague these comments are.
I do remember being angered a while ago at what this man said when in his former position here (5:50 time stamp for said comments) -
(Christian Concern do some excellent work.)

Anyway, I don’t want to derail the thread so I’ll leave my thoughts at that.

I figured the TR folks would be somewhat happy since they sang a Psalm.

"All remain seated as the choir sings Psalm 104, which the Duke of Edinburgh requested should be set to music by William Lovelady. Originally composed as a cantata in three movements, it was first sung in honour of the duke's 75th birthday."

Also from the Order of Servicet:

THE COLLECT​

The Dean of Windsor shall say

O Merciful God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is the resurrection and the life; in whom whosoever believeth shall live, though he die; and whosoever liveth, and believeth in him, shall not die eternally; who also hath taught us by his Holy Apostle Saint Paul, not to be sorry, as men without hope, for them that sleep in him: We meekly beseech thee, O Father that, when we shall depart this life, we may rest in him, as our hope is this our brother doth; and that, at the general resurrection in the last day, we may be found acceptable in thy sight; and receive that blessing, which thy well-beloved Son shall then pronounce to all that love and fear thee, saying, Come ye blessed children of my Father; receive the kingdom prepared for you from the beginning of the world. Grant this we beseech thee, O merciful Father through Jesus Christ, our Mediator and Redeemer. Amen.

I didn't see any of the service but the fact that it was at least dead orthodoxy is a pleasant surprise.

I figured the TR folks would be somewhat happy since they sang a Psalm.

"All remain seated as the choir sings Psalm 104, which the Duke of Edinburgh requested should be set to music by William Lovelady. Originally composed as a cantata in three movements, it was first sung in honour of the duke's 75th birthday."
Psalm 23 from the 1650 SMV set to Crimond became such a popular arrangement because it was used at the wedding of Phillip and Elizabeth.

"While the authorship of the melody is still disputed, the Crimond setting has become one of the most widely recognised hymn tunes in Christian hymnody.It has been sung at many notable religious occasions, such as the Wedding of Princess Elizabeth and Philip Mountbatten in 1947, for which occasion a special descant was composed." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessie_Seymour_Irvine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back