Did Christ Strike Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parakaleo

Puritan Board Sophomore
When Christ cleansed the Temple in Jerusalem (John 2:13-17), John says He "found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the money-changers sitting there", then He:

- Made a whip of cords
- Expelled all (πάντας) out of the temple
- And the sheep and the oxen

Simple question. Did Christ strike these men with the whip, or just the animals? It's an interesting question, because I believe most people have read and taught this passage as if Christ knocked over tables and swung a whip around in the air to scare everyone.

no, just the animals, my opinion

This account in John was the first cleansing. A second cleansing occurred at the beginning of the week leading to the crucifixion. At least that is how I harmonize the accounts.

It is my general idea that in His person Christ commanded authority, and so the cheaters fled and the animals were helped out by the whip of cords.

My understanding of the situation is that this was a concession of sorts where kickbacks were given to the ones who sold the concession. So when, for instance, Hellenistic Jews came with their own currency for offerings or to buy animals for sacrifice, they would have had to convert it first to Shekels and a commission was charged (probably exorbitant) then animals could be bought exorbitantly. The "Greeks going up to the feast" during the Passion Week were probably soaked and cheated excessively hence the quote that The Temple would be a "house of prayer for the nations" in Mt.21.13.

In Jn.2, "zeal for my house will consume me." (Ps 69) is a separate quote differing from the final cleansing. The NET translation notes a Messianic aspect quoting Zechariah about the word "marketplace" linking it to the term "Cannanite."

It's true what you note Alex. Zechariah 14:21 reads "in that day(the gospel day), there shall be no more the Canaanite in the house of the Lord of hosts." And John2:16 is a prophetic statement in acting out the last verse of Zechariah14. I believe the word Canaanite means merchant,and John writes,"make not my Father's house an house of merchandise."( house of Canaanites). Yet Canaanites were never allowed to enter the Temple. It was the Jews that were intended in Zechariah's prophecy, turning the Temple into market buying and selling, not only animals but men's souls! Dealt in the bad coinage of human merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back