Deuteronomy 31:24-27: Mosaic Autograph Laid up with the Ark for almost a Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.

dildaysc

Puritan Board Junior
From Poole's Synopsis:

Verse 24: And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of (Deut. 31:9) writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished…

[He wrote] With his own hand (Vatablus).

Verse 25: That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying…

[He commanded the Levites] That is, the Priests, out of verse 9 (Tirinus, Bonfrerius). The title of Levites is here one of ancestry, not of office (Menochius).

The Levites, i.e. the priests, verse 9, who also were Levites.

Verse 26: Take this book of the law, (see 2 Kings 22:8) and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there (Deut. 31:19) for a witness against thee.

[The book] Either, this Song (certain interpreters in Malvenda); or, Deuteronomy (Tirinus, Bonfrerius); or, the whole volume of the Law, the autograph (Malvenda).

[In the side of the ark] Not inside, but outside, the Ark (Lyra, Menochius, Tirinus out of Bonfrerius). In a scroll-case (Jonathan in Grotius). It is proven, 1. For it is more likely that the Ark, once closed up, was never opened thereafter: But this book was carried out of the Temple, 2 Kings 22; 2 Chronicles 34. 2. For it is said that the tables of stone alone were in the Ark, 1 Kings 8:9 (Bonfrerius).

In the side, i.e. in the outside, in a little chest fixed to it, for nothing but the tables of stone were contained in the ark, 1 Kings 8:9. Here it was kept for greater security and reverence. A witness against thee, i.e. against thy people, to whom he turns his speech, that they might be more affected with it.

Verse 27: (Deut. 9:24; 32:20) For I know thy rebellion, and thy (Ex. 32:9; Deut. 9:6) stiff neck: behold, while I am yet alive with you this day, ye have been rebellious against the LORD; and how much more after my death?

[Against the Lord, עִם־יְהֹוָה ] Before the Lord (Chaldean); against the Lord (Samaritan Text); rebellious to God (Arabic), or, to the Lord (Munster, Tigurinus).

[How much more when I am dead? (thus the Chaldean, Samaritan Text, Junius and Tremellius, Ainsworth), וְאַ֖ף כִּי־אַחֲרֵ֥י מוֹתִֽי׃] How, therefore (or, how also [Septuagint], or, and also that [Montanus], or, and in like manner [Syriac]), after my death? (Arabic).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back