Dedications to Magistrates in Reformer and Puritan Books

Discussion in 'Puritan Literature' started by Reformed Covenanter, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

Does anyone know of any (or every) book by a Reformer or Puritan with an epistle dedicatory addressed to a civil magistrate.

So far I have found ones in Lewis Bayly's The Practice of Piety, and Edward Fisher's The Marrow of Modern Divinity.

:calvin:Calvin has one in the Institutes, but I am not sure if there is anything about the magistrate's duties in it. I will have to check it out if no-one can remember.

2. crhoades

crhoades Puritan Board Graduate

Zwingli has one to the king in his work On True and False Religion. I'm scanning it in tonight. Will send it to you when I'm done. He also has a chapter on the Magistrate.

3. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Check out Bullinger's Decades. The third and fourth Decades contain dedications to King Edward VI. The fifth Decade has a dedication to the Marquis of Dorset. You may wish to review the others to see about additional dedications.

4. VirginiaHuguenot

Calvin's commentaries contain numerous epistles dedicated to magistrates.

5. Guido's Brother

Guido's Brother Puritan Board Junior

Bucer's De Regno Christi was dedicated to Edward VI.

The Belgic Confession was primarily addressed to Philip II.

6. VirginiaHuguenot

Myles Coverdale published a Bible with an epistle dedicated to King Henry VIII and Erasmus' Paraphrase dedicated to King Edward VI. The 1560 Geneva Bible was dedicated by William Whittingham to Queen Elizabeth.

7. Reformed Covenanter

I got the RHB edition at John Gowan's a couple of weeks ago; looks good. :cool:

8. AV1611

AV1611 Puritan Board Senior

9. Reformed Covenanter

Is this in modern reprints? Does it contain anything on the duties of the magistrate?

10. Guido's Brother

Guido's Brother Puritan Board Junior

Yes, at least it is in the 1990 reprint of the Den Dulk Christian Foundation.

There is a little bit on the duties of the magistrate, but the bulk is praise for the King. A better bet is Martin Bucer's De Regno Christi -- it's entirely about the duties of a Christian magistrate.

11. VirginiaHuguenot

Francis Turretin's dedication in the Institutes of Elenctic Theology addresses civil magistrates and their duties.

12. VirginiaHuguenot

Thomas Cobbet has a dedication to Oliver Cromwell in The Civil Magistrate's Power.

13. Reformed Covenanter

Thanks, I have got that one. :judge:

14. VirginiaHuguenot

The first volume of William Greenhill's Exposition of Ezekiel was dedicated to Princess Elizabeth, daughter of King Charles I and queen of Bohemia.

15. VirginiaHuguenot

The Bible-battells. Or The sacred art military For the rightly wageing of warre according to Holy Writ. Compiled for the vse of all such valiant worthies, and vertuously valerous souldiers, as vpon all iust occasions be ready to affront the enemies of God, our king, and country (1629) by Richard Bernard was dedicated to King Charles I.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.