Decatur, Alabama. Decatur PCA

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.L. Allen

Puritan Board Sophomore
Is anyone familiar with Decatur Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Decatur, Alabama? My sister has grown to love the worship typical in the OPC. Will this PCA be similar in the sense of having a traditional worship, or will it be more "contemporary?"

I looked at the Worship Guide. What is the New City Catechism? Is it in addition to, or instead of the WCF? Is it widely used in PCA churches? Thanks.

We use it in our non-denominational church. I think it comes from Tim Keller or Redeemer PCA out of New York? Cant remember which or both.

What is the New City Catechism?

It's produced by the Gospel Coalition. It borrows from Westminster and Heidelberg, but is significantly shorter and avoids matters that Presbyterians and Baptists wouldn't agree on. It's insufficient as a doctrinal standard for a Presbyterian church, but it's strong enough to be helpful when it comes to basic teaching within the membership.

It doesn't have the richness of the older catechisms, but it can be a useful way to get people started in catechismal training. It's been rolled out very nicely, with great apps and options for kids. I recommend it to some people, but recommend richer catechisms to others.

There’s no way the New City Catechism can fail to turn back the tide of ungodly thinking in our churches and society.

There’s no way the New City Catechism can fail to turn back the tide of ungodly thinking in our churches and society.

Yikes! Four negatives in that sentence. Let's see if I follow:

ungodly thinking = bad

turn back ungodly thinking = good

fail to turn back ungodly thinking = bad

no way it fails to turn back ungodly thinking = good​

So you're saying you like the catechism?

Yikes! Four negatives in that sentence. Let's see if I follow:

ungodly thinking = bad

turn back ungodly thinking = good

fail to turn back ungodly thinking = bad

no way it fails to turn back ungodly thinking = good
So you're saying you like the catechism?
It gets worse. There's a 5th negative: sarcasm.

They have a men's Bible study that meets at 6:30 in the morning.

Don't people in Alabama believe in sleeping? LOL
That's nothing. Korean Christians routinely meet at 5am for morning prayer before heading off to 12-hour workdays. (I read somewhere that this may have originated as a pagan practice, since 4 or 5 o'clock in the morning was held to be a sacred hour.) I don't join them, anyway, since I don't want to die young.

That's nothing. Korean Christians routinely meet at 5am for morning prayer before heading off to 12-hour workdays. (I read somewhere that this may have originated as a pagan practice, since 4 or 5 o'clock in the morning was held to be a sacred hour.) I don't join them, anyway, since I don't want to die young.

I'm a "You mean there's a 5 o'clock in the morning, too?" kind of guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back