David King on defending Presbyterianism with modesty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
From the title of this volume the reader will be prepared to find that I take decided views, and vindicate one system of polity in preference to others. It does not follow that I advocate an existing Presbyterianism unqualifiedly and indiscriminately — that I perceive everything among ourselves to be right, and all things in which our neighbours differ from us to be wrong. Such partisanship will never promote the discovery of truth, nor bring our debates by one step nearer to a conclusion.

We are sadly ignorant of ourselves, and frequently we know not what spirit we are of. That I have nowhere in these pages transgressed the laws of Christian charity and courtesy, I dare not assert. But I have certainly aimed to treat opponents respectfully, to meet their arguments fairly, and to offer no reply to the reader which I did not feel, on calm reflection, to be satisfactory to myself.

While I have defended Presbyterianism in the honest belief that it is defensible on good grounds, though admitting in various points of nearer approximation to the primitive model, I have rejoiced to find, that without underestimating a single argument, or compromising one iota of my convictions, I have been induced to moderate, in several important particulars, my estimate of denominational differences; and I would reckon myself favoured beyond expression if this small work should convey to others the same persuasion, and thus advance Christian conciliation and co-operative beneficence.

For the reference, see David King on defending Presbyterianism with modesty.

Thanks, Daniel. I just discovered I can suffer dyslexia. I read the title as "King David on Defending Presbyterianism...."

Which would be really something.

Nevertheless, I think I'll read the book referenced.

Thanks, Daniel. I just discovered I can suffer dyslexia. I read the title as "King David on Defending Presbyterianism...."

Which would be really something.

Nevertheless, I think I'll read the book referenced.
Exactly how I read it!

"Seems just a wee bit anachronistic," I says to myself. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back