David Dickson's commentary series, lost volume by Robert Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
David Dickson envisioned a common peoples set of commentaries on books of the Bible. Of those not published and said to be now lost are Robert Blair on Proverbs and Samuel Rutherford on Isaiah; a third author mentioned is Robert Douglass, whose contribution is also considered lost but I've never found what book was assigned to him. Any one know?

Wodrow's Life of Dickson only relates the assigned authors, but it piques interest when it says that some remain in MS.

I have not read that Blair's is lost, which his life says was completed when he died in 1666. But M'Ward mourns the loss of the Rutherford as a fact apparently in an edition of R's Letters. I have not found the text to know how sure M'Ward was. The Rutherford on Isaiah would certainly be a find.

In Lorimer's work on the Protestant church of France, the following notice appears in relation to the post-Revolution Church of Scotland: "Directions were given to obtain the manuscript writings of the eminent Samuel Rutherford on Esther and Isaiah." Regrettably no references are provided.

Interesting. With all that Wodrow collected you'd think he'd have found these MS if they were still extant in 1700+. But apparently M'Ward knew at the time he prefaced an early edition of R's letters that the MS was lost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back