David Clarkson on repenting of our original sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Quest. Whether must we repent of that original sin, which is inherent; that natural corruption, the loss of original holiness; and that innate propensity to evil? It may seem not to be any just occasion of sorrow, because it is not voluntary, but natural; having, without our consent, seized upon us unavoidably.

Ans. This is principally to be repented of, as that which is the mother sin, the cause of all actual sins. Nor should the supposed involuntariness of it hinder us from making it the object of our sorrow.

For, 1, every sin is to be repented of. But this is a sin exceeding sinful, indeed, all sins in one. For, what is sin, who can better determine than the Lord himself? And he in Scripture determines, that whatever is a transgression of the law is sin, whether it be voluntary or no; not only that which we actually consent to, but that which he peremptorily forbids. The apostle’s definition of sin is unquestionable, 1 John iii. 4, ἁμαρτία ἐστιν ἡ ἀνομία; but no greater transgression than this, since it transgresses all at once.

We are commanded to be holy; so the want of holiness is forbidden, which is the privative part of this sin. We are commanded to love the Lord with all our hearts; so the heart’s inclination to hate God is forbidden, which is the positive part. Was not the apostle Paul more able to judge what is sin, than any papist, Socinian, &c.? He calls it sin five times, Rom. vi., six times, Rom. vii., three times, Rom. viii., yea and his sin, though he then consented not to it. ...

For more, see David Clarkson on repenting of our original sin.

Clarkson's comments are helpful, and sound. His question is one that has been on my mind recently. It is central to my growth in repentance and sanctification.

Having recently returned to Christ, and consequently rescued from Arminianism, original sin is an important subject in my growth in Christ. My reading of Jonathan Edwards has put to rest many of the issues that crippled me in my Arminian years, not to mention during my years of departure from Christian fellowship.

As I am not familiar yet with Clarkson, I will continue to rely on Edwards' guidance. I have many issues unresolved, and realize that will be the case until the Lord allows me to come home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back