Dave Hunt Says We're All Lost....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueridge Believer

Puritan Board Professor
Except those of us who were saved under arminianism:

Dave Hunt on Whether Calvinists are among the Redeemed:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Hunt has recently announced that Calvinists will not be in heaven. In the September 2005 issue of The Berean Call, his newsletter, someone asks the following:
Question: In the July ’05 Letters section, “TF of Ireland,” a self-proclaimed “Calvinist,” acknowledged that Tom and Dave are saved. Is it possible for someone who believes only in the soteriology of Calvin to be saved? Specifically, that God has to first change a person’s heart. Then…with the gift of grace, faith and salvation in Ephesians 2:8-9, man afterwards, by God’s decree, will come to Him (John 6:37), and fulfill God’s requirement for him to believe and repent. Again, assuming that the fruits and works that follow are genuine, could this soteriology allow for
salvation, apart from attributing any part of it to man’s free will (John 1:12-13)? Can you extend a statement of being a fellow believer to TF (and other Calvinists) as he has to you?

Dave, after taking rambling for a while, finally comes to this conclusion:

Could someone who believes this false gospel of Calvinism be truly saved? Fortunately, many Calvinists (you among them) were saved before becoming Calvinists. They now malign God by saying that He is pleased to damn multitudes though He could save all—and that He predestines multitudes to the Lake of Fire before they are even born. But having believed the gospel before becoming Calvinists, they “shall not come into condemnation, but [have] passed from death unto life” (Jn 5:24). Those who only know the false gospel of Calvinism are not saved, while those who are saved and ought to know better but teach these heresies will be judged for doing so.

In the words of Sam Taylor,"Hum..........?"

Is it just me or is this statement just a bunch of confusing drivel?

The man obviously knows very litte about Calvinism as was evidenced by his strawman presented in his book What Love is This.

Now he presumes to sit upon the judgment seat of Christ and pronounce his strawman unsaved.

"Hum............?"

Who wrote this:

God would never command a man to do something he was incapable of doing within himself...

Was that:

a. Pelagius
b. Dave Hunt
c. Both a and b are correct

Tell him what he wins Johnny!

My imitation of Dave Hunt's theology:

God is a loving lover who loves with a love that loves. Calvinists don't love. God, the loving lover, would never be a Calvinist. My scholarly refutation of the 5 points of Calvinism is as follows:

1. Total Depravity - God, the loving lover, couldn't do that to man. It wouldn't be loving.
2. Unconditional Election - God loves all men with a love that loves. God lovingly looked down the corridors in time to love everyone because He couldn't help Himself. He just loves so much!
3. Limited Atonement - There is no limit to the love of the loving lover some call God. I call Him a loving lover.
4. irresistible Grace - Forcing a person to love you is not a loving thing. That's not the loving lover I know from John 3:16
5. Perseverance of the Saints - God (aka the loving lover) has one attribute. What is that attribute? LOVE! Did I mention that Calvinism denies the love of the loving lover?!

Thus, if a man ever believed in the loving lover and later added an attribute to God in addition to His love then he has embraced a false Gospel.

Well, I guess I'm lucky that I was raised in an Arminian church. Maybe I have a chance. Too bad for the rest of you. :)

With all due respect, Hunt is an idiot. How could one be saved because of what one used to believe, if one doesn't believe it anymore? Or, why are those who were saved as Arminians still saved if they embrace a false gospel? His belief in Arminianism (we can always choose what to believe, free from the constraints of God's will) and Once Saved Always Saved are clearly contradictory.

For the love of Pete that's lovely Rich. Excellent summary of Hunt. :up:

God is a loving lover who loves with a love that loves. Calvinists don't love. God, the loving lover, would never be a Calvinist. My scholarly refutation of the 5 points of Calvinism is as follows:

1. Total Depravity - God, the loving lover, couldn't do that to man. It wouldn't be loving.
2. Unconditional Election - God loves all men with a love that loves. God lovingly looked down the corridors in time to love everyone because He couldn't help Himself. He just loves so much!
3. Limited Atonement - There is no limit to the love of the loving lover some call God. I call Him a loving lover.
4. irresistible Grace - Forcing a person to love you is not a loving thing. That's not the loving lover I know from John 3:16
5. Perseverance of the Saints - God (aka the loving lover) has one attribute. What is that attribute? LOVE! Did I mention that Calvinism denies the love of the loving lover?!

Thus, if a man ever believed in the loving lover and later added an attribute to God in addition to His love then he has embraced a false Gospel.

that great Rich! Now I don't have to feel guilty about not finishing "What Love Is This" that I got for xmas last year from my in-laws.

:rofl:

[stands up, wipes eye]

:rofl:

Dave Hunt at least see the critical nature of the question at hand - Which Gospel? Many Calvinists would not even go so far as he does. At least, In my humble opinion, he is consistent. (Consistently wrong, but nonetheless, consistent.)

Dave Hunt at least see the critical nature of the question at hand - Which Gospel? Many Calvinists would not even go so far as he does. At least, In my humble opinion, he is consistent. (Consistently wrong, but nonetheless, consistent.)

:ditto: EXACTLY what I was thinking.

In What Love is This? Hunt argues that Augustine was wrong. On what basis was Augustine wrong? Simple.

HE WAS A CATHOLIC.

Hunt believes in election but he also believes the elect may be turned out of office by a disgruntled constituency (God in this case). So to Hunt, the latent Calvinist gets elected based on his campaign promises to hold to Universalism, Free Will and the Exclusivity of the Love Attribute. When the elected fails to keep his promises ("Read my lips, NO NEW REFORMS!"), he is turned out of office and has to settle for a position as a lobbyist for heretical (reformed) causes.

I read Dave Hunt's book "What Love is this" and became a convinced Calvinist after reading it. Thanks Dave:D I still need to write him a letter for writing his book!

But George Bryson the Chief Resident Apologist for CC is much more dramatic. The Darkside of Calvinism You gotta love the cover! I'm curious who and how they picked the cover of this book.

SemperFideles;
My response to the summary...

No, then He wouldn't be GOD! God can do ANYTHING He desires!!

Didn't God Himself say....Jacob I loved, Esua I hated??

To which I would agree, but what does THAT have to do with limited atonement? In that He loves those He loves with unlimited love!!

Where does it say one is FORCED? It is irresistible, if one is irresistible, those whom He calls are drawn irresistably...and those who are not called aren't resisting it, they just aren't being called. They are repelled by it.

I have no idea what this has to do with anything concerning the perseverance of the saints.

It is not adding anything to the attributes of God, it is only a deeper understanding of God's attributes concerning who He is AS GOD!!

If a person is to believe God is God, then they must first understand what the word God means....

Who, what is a god in your life?? It's who/what you put first in your life...

That is the very first commandment....Thou shalt have NO OTHER GOD's before me...

http://truthpricks.blogspot.com/2005_01_26_truthpricks_archive.html

Bobbi,

You have now exposed a fatal flaw in your argumentation: you used Scripture and sound exegesis. You also stopped talking about love.

The parody of Hunt is not far off the mark. James White sent me a copy of this book a while back:

https://aomin.org/bookstore/shop.html?shop=books#1113

Dave Hunt did not reply to any argumentation. He was like a pullstring doll on each point: God is Love, God is Love, God is Love, .... It is a strange read - very one sided where White is the only one who actually deals with each point and uses Scripture.

My copy is in storage in VA so I have to paraphrase but he actually states that the passage in 1 John that says "God is Love" is the only place in Scripture that God is said to be something - the only attribute attributed to Him that way. I guess he never gets around the Scriptures very much - must be too busy. Isaiah 6 came to mind at the time.

Yes Dave Hunt is a consistently consistent person. Definitely. He's like the Rainman of "God is Love". Yeah. God is Love.

In What Love is This? Hunt argues that Augustine was wrong. On what basis was Augustine wrong? Simple.

HE WAS A CATHOLIC.
:lol: Wow. Just wow! Ignorant does not begin to describe Mr Hunt. I guess Hunt is not a nicene follower and as such is a perfect candidate for the mormons: they are also non nicene with a Hyper-Arminian twist. :barfy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back