Daniel 9:27

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
Most time lines or measuring sticks we use have a beginning, an end, and some known unit of measurement.

The 70 weeks of Daniel 9 has a beginning and a unit of measurement. What's questionable is the end of the time line. I was wondering if anybody had any strong convictions (or inclinations) about what, if anything, marks the end of the 70th week? Is there something in the scriptures that brings you to that conclusion, or are you looking at what event(s) happened 3.5 years after Jesus was crucified and selecting one that seems appropriate?

How important is it to be able to discern the end point of the 70 weeks?

Bob

[Edited on 5-17-2004 by blhowes]

I think the significance is debatable.

The important point is that halfway into the last seven year segment, the Messiah is cut off. Is the last 3.5 years important? Some have said yes. One of the best offerings I've heard is that, after a gracious reprieve of sure and certain retribution for murdering God's Servant lasting about 40 years (1 generation), the Romans conducted a 3.5 year military campaign (beginning in 66 AD) that culminated in the destruction of Jerusalem, 70 AD. This would "complete" OT prophecy and bring that age to an end (Dan. 9:24; and compare 9:27 with Mt. 24:15). I believe Ken Gentry adheres to this view in his thesis on dating the book of Revelation.

Bruce,
Thanks for your response. I agree with you that the important point is that the focus of the middle of the 70th week is Jesus. Its too bad there's such a disagreement about that point. I don't think there could be a greater contrast between systems of interpretation then for some to interpret it as being about the Christ and for others to interpret is as being about the antiChrist!

The interpretation of the last part of the 70th week is one I hadn't heard before. Interesting. It almost reminds me of the dispensational approach, only with a shorter gap inserted at a different place on the timeline.

[b:7d66788d9b]Bruce wrote:[/b:7d66788d9b]
(Dan. 9:24; and compare 9:27 with Mt. 24:15).

I have to kind of smile whenever I read the last part of Matthew 24:15 - "whoso readeth, let him understand". With so many people reading the passage and so many people coming to such different interpretations of it, obviously somebody (myself included) isn't understanding something important about the passage.

I have a question about Daniel 9:26, something I've sometimes wondered.

Dan 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

It says that after threescore and two weeks (the 69th week), two things will happen: the Messiah will be cut off and the city and the sanctuary will be destroyed. Is it necessary for both of these to occur during the 70th week?

I think its clear that the first one does occur during the 70th week, as shown by verse 27. But what about the city and sanctuary being destroyed? Is it necessary for that to be during the 70th week as well?

Lets say, for sake of argument, that the end of the 70th week was marked by some event that occurred 3.5 years after Jesus was crucified. Then, some 30+ years later, the city and sanctuary was destroyed in 70 AD. This would have occurred after the 69th week, but outside of the 70 year timeline.

Anybody want to share their :wr50:?

Bob

<<<It says that after threescore and two weeks (the 69th week), two things will happen: the Messiah will be cut off and the city and the sanctuary will be destroyed. Is it necessary for both of these to occur during the 70th week?>>>

Both events are actually one event,as the Messiah,the city,and the sanctuary are the same thing."Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up" John2:19.What was Jesus talking about?His body.The city is the holy city,the heavenly Jerusalem the bride of Christ,Revelation 21,and if we are the city then Christ being the head of the church is also a city.He is the temple the sanctuary and the city,being destroyed.
andreas.
:candle:

[Edited on 5-26-2004 by andreas]

<<<The 70 weeks of Daniel 9 has a beginning and a unit of measurement. What's questionable is the end of the time line. I was wondering if anybody had any strong convictions (or inclinations) about what, if anything, marks the end of the 70th week? Is there something in the scriptures that brings you to that conclusion, or are you looking at what event(s) happened 3.5 years after Jesus was crucified and selecting one that seems appropriate? >>>

The Messiah is cut off after 62 weeks.The period from the Messiah being cut off, to the end of the week is the entire New Testament period.During the first half,the church is protected and fed,while during the second half ,there is famine of the word of God,the period of the abomination,the apostacy .The 70th week ending with the consumation,the second appearing of Christ,the judgment.
andreas.:candle:

Andreas,
Thanks for your response.
From what you say, the last week spans a period of around 2000 years so far. I was wondering if you had any thoughts about the 7 weeks and the 62 weeks. Do they also have a figurative meaning, or are they interpretted more literally?

[b:0e8970a411]Andreas writes:[/b:0e8970a411]
During the first half,the church is protected and fed,while during the second half ,there is famine of the word of God,the period of the abomination,the apostacy.

When you say first and second half, how does this relate to actual time? If, for example, Jesus came back 2000 yrs after after the resurrection, do you mean that during the 1st 1000 yrs the church is protected and fed and the famine, etc., is during the 2nd 1000 yrs? Or, does the first half represent the church age and the 2nd half represents the little season spoken of in Revelation 20?

Thanks for your input,
Bob

<<<Andreas,
Thanks for your response.
From what you say, the last week spans a period of around 2000 years so far. I was wondering if you had any thoughts about the 7 weeks and the 62 weeks. Do they also have a figurative meaning, or are they interpretted more literally? >>>

The 7 and the 62 weeks have a literal interpretation.In the year 458 BC Ezra was commanded by the king to reestablish the law in Jerusalem.To reestablish the law means to establish the temple,Ezra 9:9.,to send forth the gospel,for whenever we preach the gospel we become builders of the body of Christ.We are not talking about the physical rebuilding of a literal city in the middle east.The temple and the city that Christ came to build is His body."I have raised him up in righteousness,and i will direct all his ways he shall build my city,and he shall let go my captives,not for price nor reward saith the Lord of hosts" Isa.45:13.The temple of God and city are figures of the body of Christ."They shall call thee,the city of the lord,the zion of the holy one of Israel".Isa 60:14.In revelation 21,we have the bride of Christ,the holy city,the New Jerusalem,not a physical city yet it is potrayed as one.Christians are the building blocks of the temple,the body of Christ. Ephesians 2:20.Christ was crucified in 33 AD and between 458 and 33 there are 490 years,70 weeks.The reason the 7 are separated from the 62,is that the 7 represent a jubilee period. Leviticus 25:8
andreas.:candle:

<<<When you say first and second half, how does this relate to actual time? If, for example, Jesus came back 2000 yrs after after the resurrection, do you mean that during the 1st 1000 yrs the church is protected and fed and the famine, etc., is during the 2nd 1000 yrs? Or, does the first half represent the church age and the 2nd half represents the little season spoken of in Revelation 20? >>>

And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, times, and a half a time, from the face of the serpent." Rev.12:14

During the first half, the church is nourished,and protected by God.

During the second half, there is famine of the word of God,because offering and sacrifice ceases at the end of the first half of the final week.The testimony finishes in the mist of the week.
"And when they finished their testimony,the beast will make war against them and kill them".Rev.11:7.

Once the testimony is finished the period of desolation sets in,

"And He shall speak great words against the most high, and shall wear out the saints of the most high, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time, times and the dividing of time." Dan.8:25

The believers are given into the hands of the old serpent till the end ,till judgment day.
andreas.

:candle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back