Dallas Willard's Last Book

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bookslover, Jun 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Doctor

It's The Disappearance of Moral Knowledge (Routledge Press, 2018), about 500 pages.

This book was left unfinished when Willard died in 2013 at 77, and the manuscript was edited and completed by Steven L. Porter, Gregg A. Ten Elshof, and Aaron Preston, all three of whom were Willard's graduate students in philosophy at one time or another. With his permission, given literally just a day or two before he died, they completed his book.

It is not a popular book, but a book of technical philosophy whose target audience is ethical theorists and historians of ethics.

I haven't read a line of it, and so can't comment on it, but I saw an article about the book by Porter which was published in an in-house publication by Talbot School of Theology (Biola University).

So, if you haven't heard of it or seen it, this is just a heads-up for those who may be interested. (It's also expensive!)

2. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritanboard Amanuensis

It will be good. While he's known more for pop stuff, his skill as an ethical philosopher is staggering.

3. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Doctor

The list price is something like $115, which is pretty staggering, too.

4. jwright82

jwright82 Puritan Board Graduate

What were some of his key ideas?

5. BayouHuguenot

6. BayouHuguenot

7. jwright82

8. BayouHuguenot

If by Idealist you mean Berkeley, yes. Willard posited a real mind-independent world.

9. jwright82

Ok. Yeah I read one of his syllabi, ontology of knowledge I think, that was real good.

10. BayouHuguenot

What many don't realize is that Willard translated a bunch of Edmund Husserl's stuff from German. That puts him a strange place, as Husserl was neither analytic nor really continental.

11. BayouHuguenot

JP Moreland, that princely hero of the faith, describes what it was like to be in one of Dallas's classes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.