CT vs Dispensational 'swing' texts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KGP

Puritan Board Freshman
I am preparing for an opportunity to present some information on Covenant Theology to about 30 adults from our congregation who are not theologically inclined very much at all. They recently heard from another fellow in our congregation who delivered a session on the basics of dispensational theology, and I get to follow up now with a crash course on the basics of covenant theology.

What I want to do is rehash a bit of the dispensational theology session again but this time make it real by looking at a few swing texts that will steer you in really different directions depending on which lens you are viewing the text from. The other teacher did not use the Bible very much at all, just a wikipedia style overview and I'd like to bring this closer to home for these folks. They are very interested in the Bible of course but have not been exposed to theology very much at all, and I could see the concepts discussed last time were really not catching their interest a whole lot. By going back and discussing Dispensational theology in relation to the Davidic Covenant or Daniels weeks maybe as an example, and then launching from there into some teaching on CT and how both take you different places when you are actually reading the Bible; that will be much more engaging for them I know.

What would some of the best texts for this be do you think? A couple possibilities come to mind but I want to ask here as there are some whose transition from dispensationalism to CT will likely point me to the most polarizing texts pretty quickly.

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• BAT701 Eschatology - Zugg.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Dispensational Hermeneutics.pdf
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Dispensationalism Critique - Gunn.pdf
    423.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Shift to Amil from Dispensationalism.zip
    42.6 KB · Views: 2
I am preparing for an opportunity to present some information on Covenant Theology to about 30 adults from our congregation who are not theologically inclined very much at all. They recently heard from another fellow in our congregation who delivered a session on the basics of dispensational theology, and I get to follow up now with a crash course on the basics of covenant theology.

What I want to do is rehash a bit of the dispensational theology session again but this time make it real by looking at a few swing texts that will steer you in really different directions depending on which lens you are viewing the text from. The other teacher did not use the Bible very much at all, just a wikipedia style overview and I'd like to bring this closer to home for these folks. They are very interested in the Bible of course but have not been exposed to theology very much at all, and I could see the concepts discussed last time were really not catching their interest a whole lot. By going back and discussing Dispensational theology in relation to the Davidic Covenant or Daniels weeks maybe as an example, and then launching from there into some teaching on CT and how both take you different places when you are actually reading the Bible; that will be much more engaging for them I know.

What would some of the best texts for this be do you think? A couple possibilities come to mind but I want to ask here as there are some whose transition from dispensationalism to CT will likely point me to the most polarizing texts pretty quickly.

Thanks in advance :)
The classic ones would involve how Israel and the Church are related to each other under the new Covenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back