Crossway Approves Catholic Edition of the ESV

Status
Not open for further replies.
So several of you are fine with assigning sinful motives to the publisher without hearing the reasons behind it? I didn't realize that some here have the gift of omniscience.

I have met the owner of Crossway and his wife and spoken to them on several occasions, still receive their annual personal newsletter. I have also supported them on a missions project. Though I am not close to them (but close to people that are), as far as I know, their reputation as people are blameless. They have done extraordinary work for the kingdom so far.

The choice to allow the Catholics to get their hands on the ESV is troublesome but I would want to hear the reason behind it.

i personally haven't been impressed by Crossway concerning the ESV translation and the way they are dealing with the apps. I spoke to representatives about the translation at the Reformation and Revival Conference in Deerfield a long long time ago. I had more hope for some things that didn't happen. There are some strange goings on with how this Catholic Version is being done. I am not so sure that some motives can't be adduced from recent actions. I do know that financial motives are real in some of the decisions they make. My AND Bible android app removal of the translation for instance is one instance. Is it wrong for them to desire to be paid for their work? I don't think so. A workman is worthy of his hire. I do think it is a mess when they allow the translation to be changed for Roman Catholic benefit.

Last edited:
  • Does the translation have 'denominational bias'? That may be the case if it is a Lutheran translation.
  • Does it use an Optimum Equivalent approach to translation (similar to the CSB)?

1. I have not detected any denominational bias. One thing I love about this translation is the amount of literature the translators have produced explaining their approach to many issues, and they give many detailed reasons as to why they have approached it they way they have. Even if I disagree with them, at least I can appreciate why they did something I disagree with.

2. I think the EHV is what the NIV should have been. I have found that, like the CSB, they are literal when understandable, and freer when necessary. I have really enjoyed it.

I did a quick skim of a sample page. I still prefer the ESV for Psalm 23.

In my opinion, the Psalms is where the EHV struggles most. It’s not all the time, but sometimes their rendering of a psalm is not so great. Just compare Psalm 127:1 in the EHV to almost any other translation. The EHV’s rendering of Psalm this verse is, frankly, atrocious. Accurate, but atrocious.

I didn't realize we had "Only KJV" peeps on PB! I'm not sure I've ever met an "Only KJV" person in real life.

Sounded like Andrew Barnes, but I could have just misunderstood. In any case, I was just being light-hearted. I don't care if people are "Only KJV" it doesn't bother me.

Would anyone be upset if Crossway gave publishing rights to Mormons or JW’s in places where people didn’t have any other Bibles?

I'm no fan of Crossway but I think it would be prudent to wait and see what the emendations are before casting needless aspersion on them. For example, if the only changes made were to the ESV translation of the Apocrypha, who cares?

Let's not criticize what they only did in our imaginations. Imagination may prove true but we don't know yet.

Why are they working with Romanists at all? So much for the ESV being the new standard conservative translation of the Bible. (Which, of course, it never was.)

My 1611 KJV (re-print) has too many Popish monuments of idolatry for my taste. It includes the Apocrypha (and has cross references between it and the OT and NT text undistinguished from Scripture cross references). It has tables for the days in which holy days are celebrated. It has questionable art work, some of which verges on 2nd commandment violations.

You should get one of the later editions. The TBS does some very nice ones.

So several of you are fine with assigning sinful motives to the publisher without hearing the reasons behind it? I didn't realize that some here have the gift of omniscience.

I have met the owner of Crossway and his wife and spoken to them on several occasions, still receive their annual personal newsletter. I have also supported them on a missions project. Though I am not close to them (but close to people that are), as far as I know, their reputation as people are blameless. They have done extraordinary work for the kingdom so far.

The choice to allow the Catholics to get their hands on the ESV is troublesome but I would want to hear the reason behind it.

I haven't met the owner of Crossway and his wife but as a seller of Christian books I can tell you there are plenty of reasons to be cautious in regards to Crossway. Their output is very mixed, to say the least, and this is just another questionable move. It seems to me that personal friendships should not take priority over fidelity to God and His revealed Word. There can be no excuse for co-operation with the Antichrist.

Would anyone be upset if Crossway gave publishing rights to Mormons or JW’s in places where people didn’t have any other Bibles?

Yes

I find some of the attitudes in this thread far more disturbing than what Crossway may have done. I am really struggling to see how this attitude squares with the 9th commandment.

We have zero data as to what Crossway actually did or their motives. Please keep that in mind.

And if it does turn out to be the case that the worst imagined offenses are true, can we not try to sorrowfully correct as a brother rather than wholesale condemnation? I have no doubt there are many Christians there.

I find some of the attitudes in this thread far more disturbing than what Crossway may have done. I am really struggling to see how this attitude squares with the 9th commandment.

We have zero data as to what Crossway actually did or their motives. Please keep that in mind.

And if it does turn out to be the case that the worst imagined offenses are true, can we not try to sorrowfully correct as a brother rather than wholesale condemnation? I have no doubt there are many Christians there.

How am I meant to correct the owner of Crossway? I'm not friends with him, like some people. How about a publisher of Christian books can be called to account in public since publishing books is, you know, a public act.

And it is blatantly not true that we have "zero data" as to what has happened otherwise how could this thread have occurred in the first place? This statement is close to a lie, in my opinion. I'm sure you didn't mean to lie, but perhaps you should be more careful in how you phrase things.

I don't think anyone is lying on this thread. They may not have seen or simply not understood the evidence the same way. For this to continue, I think there is a need that the known information be restated succinctly for review. If someone is willing to make a post of that information with explicit proof and backup without judgment, opinion or comment, I'll reopen the thread and the discussion can continue based on that information. Contact me or any moderator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back