Crossings Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartoflesh

Puritan Board Junior
My wife somehow got involved with a Crossings Book Club, who sent her a free Bible about a year ago. They have since sent numerous books, which my wife has sent back "return to sender". She didn't enter into any agreement to buy books from this "club". She has tried in vain to contact a real live person at this company, and their website doesn't seem to work either. They keep sending books with invoices. She wrote them a letter about 2 weeks ago stating she didn't want any more books sent, and that she was reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.

Is there anything else that can be done to find out more information on the company? Anybody we can report them to?

Crossings Book Club
www.crossings.com

Rick, if you were in Washington State, I'd suggest contacting the Attorney General Consumer Division. Perhaps there is something similar in MN. The state web site might help.

Vic

I wonder if you even need to return the books if you have nothing in writing that committed you to anything. If someone sends a "gift" then you are not obligated to return it or pay for it.

I suspect, though, that in getting the free Bible something started the process.

BYW, I am not a lawyer so feel free to ignore my advice !

When we enter in her user ID and password we just get a blank page, except for the little shopping basket icon which does nothing. I tried to open up an account myself but it won't let me--says I need an account number first. weird.

Originally posted by Rick Larson
When we enter in her user ID and password we just get a blank page, except for the little shopping basket icon which does nothing. I tried to open up an account myself but it won't let me--says I need an account number first. weird.

Rick,

If I were you, I would write a formal letter to the company and CC: it to the local Better Business Bureau. State in the letter that you have not joined any club, and that you are not receiving mailings indicating that books will be sent to you unless you reply. Then state that an unsolicited mailings that are sent to you will not be returned at your expense or time. (Most postal law allows this)

Then keep what they send. At first I would store them unopened just in case. My guess would be that after a bit they'll stop sending materials, since it will cost them.

I agree with Fred that you should write a letter. You should also fill out a complaint form with your Attorney General. The form can be found here:

http://www.ag.state.mn.us/consumer/

I do not recommend keeping anything they sent you. Usually the "terms of agreement" with these book clubs include a promise by you to either pay for what they send you or to return it within some period (usually 10 days). If you don't pay, their next approach is to send your name to a collection agency.

You can fight, if you feel like it, but it is a hassle. My recommendation is to return everything they send you, (except the free bible) and copy your AG complaint to them as well, and keep copies of everything.

By the way, part of my law practice in Washington State deals with debt collection and consumer protection. I know it is best to nip it in the bud. A formal complaint forwarded from the state attorney general helps to set things straight. (Usual caveats apply, I am not giving legal advice to anyone in another jurisdiction. Use common sense and, if you get a collection notice, consult a lawyer in your state).

God Bless.

Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back