Critique of Mark Jones on exclusive psalmody

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is great, because Owen is filling out the point that certain materials may be used in one context but not another, namely public worship. I've been interested in finding more Puritan material on this for some time. I've been aware of the Preface to the 1673 Psalter, but not the additional material from Owen's Works.

To some extent this was used as an argument against exclusive psalmody in the "debate" regarding the recent change in the FCoS's position on worship i.e. "If you're happy to sing a hymn at home, why not in the collective public worship?"

I think it can be a major weakness in the case for EP, if it is not understood and articulated properly. What Owen is saying here helps me understand it better.

It is odd that Dr. Jones did not give citation and context of the portion quoted. It might be noted that the quoted portion comes from Dr. Owen's Vindication of the Doctrine of the Trinity. He was showing that "interpretation" of Scripture must necessarily make use of words and expressions which Scripture itself does not use. At no point does Dr. Jones attempt to show that Dr. Owen regarded "singing of psalms" as an act of "interpretation of Scripture." This renders his quotation irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back