Cringe-worthy No Quarter November trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Here is the trailer, featuring Douglas Wilson. It is for "No Quarter" November, whatever that is...

In short, this video is cringe-worthy. It is embarrassing to watch.

It reminds me of that Elizabeth Warren video where she tries to look like an average American by drinking a beer on camera, but it just looks forced and awkward.

Or an even better analogy is when Presidential candidate Michael Dukakis, who was sort of a wimp, tried to look tough by riding in a tank. But the photo-op of him in an over-sized helmet made him look like a small 12-year old boy and it tanked his political career.

Well, the same for this video. Many Reformed guys seem to be trying to act manly. Wilson is simply trying too hard here to look like a Barney Bad-Butt.

Some young reformed guys almost cannot take a selfie without being posed with a bottle of scotch, a cigar, showing off their tattoo, and with their beard glossed. It is all a sort of reformed vanity. The Doug Wilson video is a good example of that. Very cringe-y.

A soft middle aged guy complaining about the West being soft as he spits, and holds gasoline in a field and talks about "disciplining it [an issue] with a canoe-paddle" (1:03).

The video is entitled "No Quarter" as if we are to kill the prisoners? And he speaks of being a pirate and hoisting the Jolly Rogers? The only thing missing is a Cowboy hat. Why isn't he strapped with a side-arm, I wonder.

Meanwhile, after complaining of soft men, he can barely sit down in his flowery sofa at 1:13 without grunting.

Everything about this short video clip is cringe-worthy. The whole clip seems to show that he thinks much too highly of himself.

I really believe that this is how NOT to do a promo video.

Tyrannical Theonomy? Whatever. That sounds just as bad as the oxymoron Depraved Christianity. The pendulum just wants to swing. I love the balance our Standards give us. I pray more men and women will hold up in them.

edit... I was informed I misheard Tyrannical. He says Piratical Theonomy evidently. That is still just as bad and an oxymoron.

Last edited:
At 1:03, as an example of giving no quarter, Wilson speaks of "disciplining with a canoe paddle", which is oddly one of the things for which the Reformed Baptist ARBCA pastor was convicted of abuse for...not a great use of imagery given the present season.

I’m not sure how this kinda stuff is helping???
“The premiere episode, which has received 73,000 views as of press time, included a news segment that discussed the firing of Trump Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci for his crude language, “presidential drunk texting” and Trump’s ban on transgenders in the military, as well as concerns about the recent Vogue article that teaches youth how to engage in sodomy.

“[T]rust me, this one was easy to find the butt of the joke,” Durbin jested in regard to the sodomy how-to article, later adding that years ago, teens were rather taught about driving and “how not to rear-end someone.”

I’m not sure how this kinda stuff is helping???
“The premiere episode, which has received 73,000 views as of press time, included a news segment that discussed the firing of Trump Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci for his crude language, “presidential drunk texting” and Trump’s ban on transgenders in the military, as well as concerns about the recent Vogue article that teaches youth how to engage in sodomy.

“[T]rust me, this one was easy to find the butt of the joke,” Durbin jested in regard to the sodomy how-to article, later adding that years ago, teens were rather taught about driving and “how not to rear-end someone.”

Ugh. I will pass on all of this "hip" Christianity stuff.

I thought the video was kinda cool, and Wilson is saying things that need to be said, in my opinion. If someone among us doesn’t like it or him, there are plenty of alternatives to tickle our fancies, isn’t there?

Also, he said “Piratical Theonomy,” not “Tyrannical Theonomy.”

The most cringeworthy thing is pouring gas while smoking!

A lit cigar, or cigarette for that matter, is not hot enough to ignite gasoline or gasoline fumes. The reason they don’t want you to smoke at gas stations is because you might light one up while you’re there, and the flame from a lighter or match is more than hot enough to ignite gasoline.

In short, this video is cringe-worthy. It is embarrassing to watch.

Well, the same for this video. Many Reformed guys seem to be trying to act manly. Wilson is simply trying too hard here to look like a Barney Bad-Butt.

A soft middle aged guy complaining about the West being soft as he spits, and holds gasoline in a field and talks about "disciplining it [an issue] with a canoe-paddle" (1:03).

The video is entitled "No Quarter" as if we are to kill the prisoners? And he speaks of being a pirate and hoisting the Jolly Rogers? The only thing missing is a Cowboy hat. Why isn't he strapped with a side-arm, I wonder.

Meanwhile, after complaining of soft men, he can barely sit down in his flowery sofa at 1:13 without grunting.

Everything about this short video clip is cringe-worthy. The whole clip seems to show that he thinks much too highly of himself.

I bet he replaced the gas with water because down deep he is just a girly man poser, and girly man posers are afraid of girly things like lighting their heads on fire.

Are these comments really necessary? I understand why Mr. Doug Wilson is controversial and his views the subject of much critique, but what exactly did you hope to achieve by ranting about the man like this? I think the man deserves better and after profiting from much of what you've written over the years I know you to be better as well.

I bet he replaced the gas with water because down deep he is just a girly man poser, and girly man posers are afraid of girly things like lighting their heads on fire.

Sounds like someone has...

Man-grinding-axe-vintage_700x.jpg

Not one week ago did you advise me (with truly AMAZING and GODLY wisdom) to be gracious and loving in my dealings with others. You shared this sage advice on my thread about preparing for a debate with a professing atheist. Brother, there's a way to disagree with other men. This is not the way.

So, our theology should affect nothing? Influence no one? Make a difference nowhere? Challenge no philosophy? Make no one angry?

He is a contentious fellow with a long history of pirating churches, harming the sheep, blackmailing victims, etc. He is also not a real minister. His theology that "bites back" reminds me of another verse

But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another.

Not one week ago did you advise me (with truly AMAZING and GODLY wisdom) to be gracious and loving in my dealings with others. You shared this sage advice on my thread about preparing for a debate with a professing atheist. Brother, there's a way to disagree with other men. This is not the way.

Awww, but that advice was for OTHER people.... not for me! :)

Ok, so how do I criticize how corny this trailer is without calling it corny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back