Credo-Paedo Reformed Denomination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particular Baptist

Puritan Board Freshman
Just curious if anyone here has a leaning, like myself, to agree with the Reformed (Dutch) ecclesiology, rather than the Presbyterian counterpart, but still is credobaptist? I wish that there was a Reformed denomination, other than the Free Presbyterian Church, that allowed credos to minister and hold membership and held to the Reformed church government in the Dutch tradition. Any thoughts?

Just curious if anyone here has a leaning, like myself, to agree with the Reformed (Dutch) ecclesiology, rather than the Presbyterian counterpart, but still is credobaptist? I wish that there was a Reformed denomination, other than the Free Presbyterian Church, that allowed credos to minister and hold membership and held to the Reformed church government in the Dutch tradition. Any thoughts?

I doubt you'll find such a church. Reason: conservative Reformed churches typically hold to full subscription of their confessions with no scruples allowed. The Three Forms of Unity are clear on the question of who should be baptized.

If my memory serves me right there have been schism from Dutch Reformed Churches that are credo baptist. In the Hamilton, Ontario / Burlington, Ontario area some men became convinced of the credo baptist position and left to form an independent Church. They also seemed to lean to decisional regeneration. They had a variation of the Heidelberg Catechism which included the credo exceptions with regard to the sacrament of Baptism. I believe they called it the Orthodox Reformed Catechism.
I am also familiar with men who were in the Netherland Reformed Congregations who left over issues related to the believer's assurance; and found their way into Reformed Baptist Churches.
I am not aware of any grouping of other wise Dutch Reformed, credo baptist churches.

If my memory serves me right there have been schism from Dutch Reformed Churches that are credo baptist. In the Hamilton, Ontario / Burlington, Ontario area some men became convinced of the credo baptist position and left to form an independent Church. They also seemed to lean to decisional regeneration. They had a variation of the Heidelberg Catechism which included the credo exceptions with regard to the sacrament of Baptism. I believe they called it the Orthodox Reformed Catechism.
I am also familiar with men who were in the Netherland Reformed Congregations who left over issues related to the believer's assurance; and found their way into Reformed Baptist Churches.
I am not aware of any grouping of other wise Dutch Reformed, credo baptist churches.

That could be. Some ten years ago, there was some controversy along the lines of what you mention. And there is something called "the Orthodox Catechism" which is a baptistic version of the Heidelberg. But that still leaves you without the Belgic Confession and Canons of Dort, both of which would also have to be edited to suit a Baptist approach.

I think we'll have to wait until we get to heaven for that.

Is more then the Heidelberg really needed?

...there is something called "the Orthodox Catechism" which is a baptistic version of the Heidelberg. But that still leaves you without the Belgic Confession and Canons of Dort, both of which would also have to be edited to suit a Baptist approach.
For many years the Reformed Church U. S., Eureka Classis had only the Heidelberg as a doctrinal standard and remained a stalwart reformed denomination. Is more then the Heidelberg really needed?

Is more then the Heidelberg really needed?

Yes.

Without the Canons of Dort - you have no confession of the Doctrines of Grace.

Without the Belgic Confession - you have no confessional clarity regarding several other key Reformed doctrines.

Steve

Last edited:
For many years the Reformed Church U. S., Eureka Classis had only the Heidelberg as a doctrinal standard and remained a stalwart reformed denomination. Is more then the Heidelberg really needed?

Well, the question pertained to a church federation that holds to Dutch Reformed polity. The RCUS is German Reformed in background. I'm glad that they adopted the CoD and the BC, but with regards to church government they are not Dutch Reformed. Their polity is not based on Dort.

Brother, I think that you might find the ARBCA association a refreshing confessional Reformed and Baptist association. If you would like more information please send me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back