Credo churches that admit Paedobaptists into membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfelice

Puritan Board Freshman
I was wondering if anyone here belongs to or knows of a credobaptist church that admits paedobaptists into membership. I would like to take a look at their Constitution and the wording that is used.

I have a copy of the proposal that was in the works at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, but would like to compare theirs with others.

Thanks

Dear Tonny,

Yes in our church, which is a typical evangelical church, were they would admitted paedobaptists into membership, but would encourged them to be scriptual baptized as a believer on a profession of faith by immersion, and they can admmited to the Lord's supper.

Even though i love my church alot and iam a member of it, i have to admit that i have a different view concerning this; iam hold to the view that you have to be baptist as a believer before you van admitted to the local church and i also hold to close-communion.

Dr. Einwechter's church, Immanuel Free Reformed Church, in Schoeneck, PA, has, I believe, two levels of membership. A communicant membership that paedos can join, and a voting membership which only those who hold to the LBC can join.

The book of church order is here: http://www.immanuelfrc.org/BookofChurchOrder.html

Article I. Membership
Each member of the Church is acknowledged to form a vital part of the body and to have a particular function in the life of that body. Practical considerations, such as the desire for fellowship with those who may not agree with all the doctrinal standards and practices of the church yet seek membership with us, new believers who cannot be expected to affirm doctrines and practices they either do not understand or haven’t yet considered, lead us to establish two types of membership for this Church.

1. Constituent Membership.

a. Qualifications - Those who would be admitted to the constituent membership of the church must meet the qualifications set forth in paragraph 9 of the Church Covenant. In particular, they must be in agreement with the Church Doctrinal Standards and the Book of Church Order.

b. Privileges - All men in the membership who are heads of households, or single but over the age of 21, shall have the privilege of participating in interaction, attending membership meetings, voting on all matters before the congregation, and of serving in positions of leadership and teaching if they meet the additional qualifications required for any of these positions and are called to them by the membership.

c. Responsibilities - In addition to the responsibilities set forth in the Church Covenant, members shall be responsible to uphold, defend, and follow the doctrines and practices set forth in the Church Doctrinal Standards and the Book of Church Order.

d. Admission - Upon the recommendation of the elders and the majority vote of the membership new members shall be received into the membership of this church during a regular Lord’s Day worship service.

e. Termination

(1) If a member can no longer in good conscience uphold the doctrines and practices of the London Baptist Confession of Faith or the Book of Church Order, then he will become an associate member or may seek a transfer of membership to another orthodox church.

(2) A member may request a transfer of their membership to another local church. This request will be submitted in writing to the elders and should give the specifics concerning the church where he is seeking membership and the specific reason(s) why a transfer is desired. The elders will have the authority to approve the request and grant the letter of transfer.

(3) If a member habitually absents himself from the stated meetings of this church without showing just cause, or if due to relocation he may be excluded from the membership at the discretion of the elders. Also, any member who personally so requests may after due admonition be excluded from the membership by the elders if they deem it appropriate to do so.

(4). Excommunication (See Article VI on Church Discipline for specifics).

2. Associate Membership.

a. Qualifications - Those who would be admitted to the associate membership of the church must meet the qualifications set forth in paragraph 9 of the Church Covenant. They must profess full belief in the Apostles’ and Nicene Creeds and agree to receive the teaching of the church concerning the doctrines and practices set forth in the London Baptist Confession of Faith and the Book of Church Order without murmuring or disputing.

b. Privileges - All men in the associate membership who are heads of households, or single but over the age of 21, shall have the privilege of participating in interaction, attending membership meetings and participating in the discussions, serving on committees, voting on leaders for the congregation, and voting on church discipline. However, their privilege of voting shall be limited to these, and they will not be permitted to serve in leadership or teaching positions.

c. Responsibilities - Associate members shall be responsible to fulfill the terms of the Church Covenant and confess their faith in the Nicene and Apostles’ Creeds. They are not responsible to believe, defend, and uphold the doctrines of the London Baptist Confession of Faith. Neither are they required to be in full agreement with all the details of the Book of Church Order. However, they are asked to respect the practices set forth in the Book of Church Order as they relate to the government and public meetings of the church, and not make them matters of contention.

d. Admission - Upon the recommendation of the elders and the majority vote of the membership, associate members shall be received into the membership of this church during a regular Lord’s Day worship service.

e. Termination

(1) An associate member may request a transfer of their membership to another local church. This request will be submitted in writing to the elders and should give the specifics concerning the church where he is seeking membership and the specific reason(s) why a transfer is desired. The elders will have the authority to approve the request and grant the letter of transfer.

(2). If an associate member habitually absents himself from the stated meetings of this Church without showing just cause, or if due to relocation he may be excluded from the membership at the discretion of the elders. Also, any member who personally so requests may after due admonition be excluded from the membership by the elders if they deem it appropriate to do so.

(3). Excommunication (See Article VI on Church Discipline for specifics).

:offtopic:Tony, I thought you were an Ulsterman when I saw you attended Londonderry Bible Fellowship Church only to be dissappointed by noticing you are in the US. Why did you steal all our town names? :(:violin:

:offtopic:Tony, I thought you were an Ulsterman when I saw you attended Londonderry Bible Fellowship Church only to be dissappointed by noticing you are in the US. Why did you steal all our town names? :(:violin:

This area was settled by the Scot-Irish, hense the Londonderry name. Having a little Scot-Irish in me, and seeing the rich history behind the name, it was a easy choice for us when we were naming the church.

Also, thanks to the others for the references posted. I appreciate it.

This area was settled by the Scot-Irish, hense the Londonderry name. Having a little Scot-Irish in me, and seeing the rich history behind the name, it was a easy choice for us when we were naming the church.

Also, thanks to the others for the references posted. I appreciate it.

Yeah, I forgot...we built your country and called everything in it after places in Ulster. :lol:

I was wondering if anyone here belongs to or knows of a credobaptist church that admits paedobaptists into membership. I would like to take a look at their Constitution and the wording that is used.

I have a copy of the proposal that was in the works at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, but would like to compare theirs with others.

Thanks

Broadmead Baptist Church, Bristol has had that rule since the 17th century (see Broadmead Baptist Church: Style of Fellowship & Worship.)
Also John Bunyan's church, Bedford Museum, has done likewise from the same era to today.
Bunyan defends that practice in books "A Holy Life: the Beauty of Christianity" and "Differences in judgment About Water Baptism No Bar To Communion." The essentials of Bunyan's view are given by DM Lloyd-Jones' essay John Bunyan: Church Union in The Puritans: Their Origins and Successors published by Banner of Truth. I commend Bunyan's argument to all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back