14th issue of The Confessional Presbyterian is here; just barely in 2018. Thanks to those of you who have ordered. These will start going out Monday (yes, I will tread the dreaded USPS on Dec 24th for you). If you have not ordered one yet prices go up Jan. 1. See info direct order links below for North America and the link to James Dickson Books for all other countries. Share with those you think may be interested. Some very good material and an important piece on the 2nd commandment as to why LC109 on pictures of Christ is a part of the system of doctrine of the Westminster Standards. Table of Contents below.
North American (US, Canada)
Buy now US indiv., $20.
Buy now US institution, $25.
Buy now Canada, $40.
USA purchasers may take advantage of this special offer and purchase the v12, v13 and v14 for the special price of $50 (USA only, buy now). These will all ship together when the v14 issue is available in mid December, D.V.
If you prefer not to use Paypal, chose the Stripe option to pay via credit card at the online store at check out (link).
All other destinations (UK, Australia, etc.) may now subscribe at a much more reasonable rate via our worldwide distributor, James Dickson Books (link).
Table of Contents
3. Thomas Dwight Witherspoon (1836–1898)
By Francis R. Beattie
9. Christ. His Constraining Love. A Sermon by T. D. Witherspoon
By Thomas Dwight Witherspoon
17. A Children’s Book about God’s Hesed: T. D. Witherspoon’s Children of the Covenant
By C. N. Willborn
29. The Man in Linen: A New and Old Interpretation of Ezekiel 9–10
By Lane Keister
37. The Patristic Roots of Post-Reformation Views on the Properties of Scripture as Exhibited in the Preaching of John Chrysostom
By David T. King
51. William Ames and the Westminster Assembly
By Allen Stanton
63. Fighting for Phoebe: The Widow-Deacon and the Westminster Assembly’s Concept of an Alms-Based Women’s Ministry
By Nathan Eshelman
73. Alexander Shields, the Revolution Settlement and the Unity of the Visible Church
By Matthew Vogan
115. Desert Rose: Thomas Chalmers’ West Port Experiment (1844–1847)
By Michael J. Ives
126. Wisdom & Folly in Pastoral Ministry: Samuel Miller’s Use of Antithesis in His Published Lectures
By Zachary Groff
139. John DeWitt: New School Presbyterian at an Old School Seminary
By Joshua Brownfield
149. Wartime Sermons: Twelve Pulpit Messages from Georgia Presbyterians During World War II
By Frank J. Smith
177. Changing Direction: Moving Away From Technique-Driven Exegesis
By Benjamin Shaw
183. Shot through with Personality: Establishing Man’s Freedom within the Sovereign Plan of God
By Daniel Ragusa
201. Images of Christ and the Vitals of the Reformed System
By Harrison Perkins
216 Reviews & Responses: Cornelis Venema, Christ and Covenant Theology: Essays on Election, Republication, and the Covenant (Gabriel N.E. Fluhrer) 216 ■ Jeffrey S. McDonald, John Gerstner and the Renewal of Presbyterian Evangelicalism in Modern America (Benjamin Shaw) 221 ■ Paul C. H. Lim, Mystery Unveiled: The Crisis of the Trinity in Early Modern England (Harrison Perkins) 223 ■ Garnet Howard Milne, Has the Bible Been Kept Pure? The Westminster Confession of Faith and the Providential Preservation of Scripture (Benjamin Shaw) 224 ■ Matthew Knell, Sin, Grace and Free Will: A Historical Survey of Christian Thought, Volume 1: The Apostolic Fathers to Augustine (Mark A. Herzer) 226 ■ Alan D. Strange, The Doctrine of the Spirituality of the Church in the Ecclesiology of Charles Hodge (Jeffrey A. Stivason) 228
231 Psallo: Psalm 128:1–6
234 In Translatiōne: Johannes Hornbeeck (1617–1666), Disputational Piety at Leiden, and a Translation of De desiderio animæ erga Christum
249 Antiquary: A Transcription from Manuscript of a Sermon on Psalm 2:10–12 by George Gillespie
279 The Editors
. In Brief: Samuel Miller: Prayer Prior to Preaching (138) ■ In Brief: George Gillespie, Psalm 2 and Christ’s Mediatorial Kingdom (262) ■