Covenants, Sin, Birth of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
I had a man not long ago tell me that he believes that the covenant being made with Adam, wherein Adam fell, all have sinned in Him. Covenantally, he stated that when each person is born, they are sinners because of the male's sin. He stated that all have sinned in Adam.

He brings this up because he thinks the reason Christ in His birth was without sin was because he was by the power of the Holy Spirit in the womb of the virgin Mary. There was no male to bring sin (covenantally).

This caught me off guard and I responded to him with what I had learned, but told him I would research more.

I was under the impression that when the Holy Spirit formed Jesus (human nature) in the womb of Mary, that the Spirit sanctified Mary's seed.

This is way out of my usual 'zones' of theology I usually travel in. Can anyone help me understand this better? And do you think this man is right?

That sounds similar to something that someone told me many years ago concerning what Charles Hodge believed. I guess I will go and get my Hodge Systematic out now. But my answer to this would have been something along the line that Christ was sinless because he was both God and man. Conception happens in the womb of a woman not in a man. That is why the seed of a woman was used. And Genesis does record it as her seed. And she was fallen also.

Right, but what he was saying is that the male passes on the sin nature, which is why Christ had no sin.

One more thought. Adam and Eve were one. The two shall be one. I just went and found Hodge. I am going to go look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back