Covenant Theology Made Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santos

Puritan Board Freshman
Could someone please recommend some basic covenant theology resources? I would prefer videos or audio if possible.

Our brother @JTB.SDG has just written a book on the subject. I'm sure he will chime in. As for audio, I have heard good things about Ligon Duncan's lecture series, which can be found here.

I'd recommend Covenants Made Simple by Jonty Rhodes. You can't go wrong with a book that's essentially identical to the title of the thread! I believe Reformed Forum also has a free class on Covenant Theology.

I'd recommend Covenants Made Simple by Jonty Rhodes. You can't go wrong with a book that's essentially identical to the title of the thread! I believe Reformed Forum also has a free class on Covenant Theology.

I’ve read this book and am currently going through it with two young gentlemen who come out of a dispensationalist background. It’s been very helpful for them understanding covenant theology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all very much for your recommendations! Although I have not been here in a while, I know that this is the place to go for such information. I appreciate all of your help. Praise God for the brethren.

I wouldn't call NCT a Reformed Baptist view, it's more like a modern Baptist reaction from Dispensationalists to Reformed covenant theology.

1689 Federalism is similar to the "minority report" (see A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life, section titled The Minority Report) held by some in attendance during the Westminster Assembly and would recommend the following: https://www.solid-ground-books.com/detail_1987.asp

For something deeper I would suggest picking up The Divine Covenants by A.W. Pink.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

I would third Jonty Rhodes' little volume; very concise and helpful. You can also check this out if you like; it's simple but not necessarily concise, 10 lessons on covenant theology in all; but it's also not audio or video: www.ruinandredemption.com

Thank you brother.
I’m currently reading through Jon’s book, Ruin and Redemption, and can vouch that it is a quality read. I can also vouch that you could finish Covenants made Simple by the time you got through chapter 1 of his book!

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate the suggestions. Keep em coming. The NCT info is helpful also. It is actually why I am trying to become a better apologist for CT.

What do either of those comments have to do with anything? John Gill and James White didn't hold to NCT or Progressive Covenantalism either.
Thank you for your question Sean Patrick Cornell. You wrote, "That is a Reformed perspective" in reference to 1689 Federalism. I mentioned that famous Reformed Baptists like Gill and White do not hold to 1689 Federalism. In the context of the discussion I was trying to point out that Reformed Baptists can hold to another form of Covenant theology not yet mentioned that other form of Covenant theology is express by Nichols.

Brian Borgman has just started a series on this on Sermon Audio or Podbean. The church and Israel. Excellent expositor.

I greatly benefited from O Palmer Robertson’s book “Christ of the Covenants”, Ligon Duncan’s course already mentioned, and the relevant sections in Louis Berkhof’s Systematic Theology. The Marrow of Modern Divinity was helpful also.

I ordered this book and have begun reading it, and have a question. In discussing the covenant of works, Mr. Rhodes says that the agreement or conditions that God made with Adam in the garden were 1. That positively, humans must obey God, fulfilling the "cultural mandate," which Mr. Rhodes defines as pertaining to work, families, marriage, art, sciences. 2. Negatively, they must not take the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

I've never heard of the positive command related to the cultural mandate as being part of the covenant of works. Is this historically the position of Reformed and Puritan teaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back