Covenant Theology: Biblical, Theological, and Historical Perspectives

Discussion in 'The Literary Forum' started by Stephen L Smith, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator Staff Member

Looking forward to this book coming out later this year (published by Crossway) https://www.crossway.org/books/covenant-theology-case/

It looks like on of the most substantial works on covenant theology to come out in recent years.

It includes essays by a number of leading covenant theologians. However I was a little surprised it did not include essays by esteemed covenant theologians such as Cornelis Venema and J. Mark Beach.

Here are some questions I hope the book will address:
    • How will it treat the Mosaic Covenant in light of the many recent debates over this?
    • Will it address 1689 Federalism?
    • Will this work address linkages of covenant to systematic theology to biblical theology?
    • etc

2. Regi Addictissimus

Regi Addictissimus Completely sold out to the King

I just started reading a galley a few days ago. It will be a substantial contribution to Covenant Theology. As far as your questions, I am not far enough into it to give them a thoughtful answer. I can report back once I am further along.

3. Stephen L Smith

Please do. That will be helpful.

I may have answered one of my questions. The publishers website says "Engaging in biblical, systematic, and historical theology, each chapter presents covenant theology not as a theological abstract imposed upon the Bible, but a doctrine that is organically presented throughout the Biblical narrative."

4. spunky01

spunky01 Puritan Board Freshman

This looks to be a less thorough treatment but still a large body of information that would be in the book:
    https://www.monergism.com/covenant-...cal-and-historical-study-gods-covenants-ebook

5. Regi Addictissimus

6. Goodcheer68

Goodcheer68 Puritan Board Sophomore

7. Stephen L Smith

Robert, when I mentioned the Mosaic covenant above and the many debates over this, I have since realised this thread has some excellent points defending the classic Reformed position. Again I would be interested in your thoughts when you come to that section in the book :). I hope to purchase the book when it comes out later in the year; I remain curious how it handles the weighty debates in covenant theology.

8. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritanboard Commissioner

The two chapters on Karl Barth and the Barthians should be interesting.

9. Regi Addictissimus

Check your messages, Stephen.