couples search online for spare wife

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're now heading into territory of "is a marriage the domain of the church or the state?" The state can allow homosexuals to marry, but the church would never consider it a marriage. But if one is married and part of the church, and the state says they aren't legal marriages (polygamy or whatnot)...that does not change that the marriage is still there in God's eyes. If a polygamous man moves from one country to another (one that permits polygamy to one that does not), his marriages are not suddenly void in God's eyes simply because of the state.

Think this doesn't affect things further? Uhm, yes it does. There are those in this country that want marriage to be done away with altogether. Those that want time limits placed on marriage, requiring renewal of contract or separation after some odd years (7). Should we all become celibate and no longer bear children because the state would no longer recognise our marriages? For thus the same reasons there are those that are again marriage licenses (some refuse to get them, some get them but are against how they began).

Personally, marriage is a spiritual issue and generally follow the rules of one's faith first.

When it's stated that a man should divorce or do away with certain of his wives because the state doesn't recognise the marriage, then yes, we do head into that territory. There are polygamists moving here from other countries.

When it's stated that a man should divorce or do away with certain of his wives because the state doesn't recognise the marriage, then yes, we do head into that territory. There are polygamists moving here from other countries.

Oh no the tax code is messed up again. It only allows for one wife. And who are they to claim what is correct and not correct? We need more laws. And the lawmakers are just salivating, "How can we get more money?"

Lady Flynt is correct.

I thought this thread was discussing the Law of God and it's relation to multiple wives...

Well does God's law say that a man should have only one wife? If so, and a man moves into America what is he to do? And concerning the Church.... what are the Elders to do? Pergy has responded well to this in his above post I believe.

America is void of caring about God thinks in my estimation but the Church is still responsible to tell the Government what is right and wrong.

Jason, I stand corrected. This thread is about Polygamy in light of God's law. But we are also trying to see how to relate to it in society in light of God's view of marriage.

PuritanCovenanter, I read something into the post that wasn't there, apologies.

Ladyflynt brings up a good point.

We think of US Mormons when we discuss polygamy in the US.

But what if we allow africans who are impoverished by war to take refuge in the US, they and their mutliple wives. It would appear that the US laws should not break up these marriages.

Oh no the tax code is messed up again. It only allows for one wife. And who are they to claim what is correct and not correct? We need more laws. And the lawmakers are just salivating, "How can we get more money?"
I know you were making a point, but I have to say, this had me :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back