Country Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
My wife enjoys listening to country music, so I may get her a CD or two for Christmas. I'm not into country music much, so I'm not familiar with the artists. Any recommendation? Any Christian country music recommendations? Any reformed Christian country music artists?

I enjoy Gillian Welch and recommend her music if you're looking for sultry old-timey country. Most everything she does grows into a classic on me. Here is her discography off her site. Time (The Revelator) is my favorite album. You can listen to samples of it here.

A lot of her music has a Christian theme, though I wouldn't consider it reformed. You may want to check out her Revival record as well.

Originally posted by blhowes
My wife enjoys listening to country music, so I may get her a CD or two for Christmas. I'm not into country music much, so I'm not familiar with the artists. Any recommendation? Any Christian country music recommendations? Any reformed Christian country music artists?

You might consider Alison Krauss.

Originally posted by blhowes

Doubtless there's lots of good Christian - country - artists out there. And many will guide you to them.

However, I've given up on it. I used to love it, but it's gone so far out in left field that I can't spend any time on it anymore. Dolly Parton doing a duet with Elton John is not "country entertainment," it's a freak show.

"Big and Rich" are the equivalent of Lobster Boy and the Human Cabbage.

Gone back to old Bluegrass. Not "newgrass" but the *old* bluegrass. Especially gospel bluegrass.

Just a personal thing.

George Strait
Asleep at the Wheel
Dwight Yoakam
Alan Jackson
Heather Myles
Kevin Fowler

These ought to get you started.

I like those three kids in Nickel Creek. They do fantastic music with the creativity of the Beatles at times but I don't know what genre you would put them in. I think it sounds like hill country music to me. I sure haven't grown tired of it.
http://www.nickelcreek.com/

As far as Christian country...well you can get recordings of even Willie Nelson singing hymns but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Randy Travis has been doing Christian music for a while now. Some of it is good. I don't know his theology. I would go to one of the big stores that lets you listen to sample CDs and try to find something that you also could endure. Like the others have mentioned, Allison Krause and George Strait are pretty sure bets.

[Edited on 12-6-2005 by Richard King]

Originally posted by wsw201
These ought to get you started.
Yes, thank-you everyone for your recommendations/help. I used amazon.com to listen to a bunch of them. Good stuff. Now all I have to do is narrow it down to two or three (which, from what I heard, won't be an easy task).
Bob

If you want some 'main line' country from a Christian singer check out a fellow I 'used to know', Buddy Jewel. He's a great singer. His lyrics are thought provoking. And, he can call the Hogs!!

Josh Turner is good.

I think this is her name .... Carrie Underwood has a song called "Jesus take the wheel" that is pretty good too.

Bob,

Go Here to a site called "LP Discography". They always have an album of the week (I think it changes on Wed or Thurs) and you can hear all the songs from that particular album for the week. Just click the song title. Also, you can get the lyrics for I guess every country song ever made (or at least it seems that way).

This week is Buck Owens "Christmas Shopping" from 68.

Larry

Originally posted by LarryCook
Bob,

Go Here to a site called "LP Discography". They always have an album of the week (I think it changes on Wed or Thurs) and you can hear all the songs from that particular album for the week. Just click the song title. Also, you can get the lyrics for I guess every country song ever made (or at least it seems that way).

This week is Buck Owens "Christmas Shopping" from 68.

Larry
Larry,
Thanks for the link to the site. Its bookmarked.

Thanks for the additional names.

I never had much reason to visit amazon.com before, so I didn't know how good the site was for checking out music. As I said, its helpful for checking out these artists you guys have mentioned. I like the way its set up, so you can listen to a collection of songs by artist (that way you don't have to sit there and click on each song). This morning, I listened to some of Christopher Parkening, now I'm listening to Reverend Gary Davis (I love how he does Samson and Delilah - good stuff).

Bob,

Who are HER favorite artists? If your not sure--ASK HER!!

Or better yet, what are some of her FAVORITE songs? I know there are some artists I only like one or two of their songs, and it seems like a waste to pay $15 for a cd that only has one or two songs on it that I actually like. If I buy them I end up not listening to them most of the time because I don't want to hear the other stuff.

Do you have a CD Burner? If so, why not go to one of the music sites where you can down load so many songs for like $10 or $20 and burn her a cd of all of her FAVORITE songs on to one cd? You could even design your own cd cover.

Sure it may take a little time, but it will be something I'm sure she will treasure because you took the *time* to get to know more about her, and what she likes. And isn't that part of what becoming one is all about?

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by BJClark]

Originally posted by mgeoffriau
Robert Earl Keen, Jr.

Then again, maybe not.

No maybe not about it! Robert Earl is great. You also might try some Charlie Robison and Jack Ingram.

Robert Earl Keen, Jr.

Then again, maybe not.

No maybe not about it! Robert Earl is great. You also might try some Charlie Robison and Jack Ingram.

yeah if you like a story with your songs Robert Earl Keen delivers. I think I would try Charlie Robison's less raunchy brother Bruce. Bruce Robison and his wife Kelly Willis are incredible especially on the CD Country Sunshine. http://www.brucerobison.com/

Originally posted by Richard King
Robert Earl Keen, Jr.

Then again, maybe not.

yeah if you like a story with your songs Robert Earl Keen delivers. I think I would try Charlie Robison's less raunchy brother Bruce. Bruce Robison and his wife Kelly Willis are incredible especially on the CD Country Sunshine. http://www.brucerobison.com/

I really liked the "Unleashed" album that Jack Ingram did with Charlie and Bruce Robison.

Oh, I am with you that he is great...my "maybe not" was because he isn't entirely "family friendly" and certainly not Christian.

"Bigger Piece of Sky" is an incredible album - just full of great stories.

No maybe not about it! Robert Earl is great.

Originally posted by BJClark
Bob,

Who are HER favorite artists? If your not sure--ASK HER!!
If it weren't so close to Christmas time, I would ask her. She'd suspect something if I asked her now, and I'd like her to be surprised by whatever gifts I get her...I did ask my youngest son yesterday, and he said she really likes Tim McGraw, so I'll put him up at the top of the list.

Originally posted by BJClark
Or better yet, what are some of her FAVORITE songs? I know there are some artists I only like one or two of their songs, and it seems like a waste to pay $15 for a cd that only has one or two songs on it that I actually like. If I buy them I end up not listening to them most of the time because I don't want to hear the other stuff.

Do you have a CD Burner? If so, why not go to one of the music sites where you can down load so many songs for like $10 or $20 and burn her a cd of all of her FAVORITE songs on to one cd? You could even design your own cd cover.
Now there's an idea I like. The new laptop I just bought does have a CD burner. Could anybody recommend of a good music site?

Walmart looks pretty good. $4.62 for the first 3 songs, then .88 for each additional song. The price includes personalized packaging. Not bad.

blhowes,

So what if she suspects what you might be getting her, just because you ask her who her favorite artists are, doesn't automatically mean your getting her a CD, You could be looking to see if they have a concert coming to your town and surprising her with tickets.

You can't do that IF you don't know who she likes.

She may also like Faith Hill, Keith Urban, Toby Keith, Gretchen Wilson,
Martina McBride there are so many artist, that unless you know which songs are her favorites you may get some she doesn't like.

And just because you ask her which artist or songs she likes doesn't mean she will assume you will create one especially for her. She may assume you will head to the store and just buy one or two of them so she would be looking for one store bought and not one with just her favorite songs.

You could even make one of some of your favorites together, some that have special meaning to the two of you as a couple.

Now there's an idea I like. The new laptop I just bought does have a CD burner. Could anybody recommend of a good music site?

Legally Download, Play and Burn Music Get unlimited legal access to 1,300,000+ songs for only $9.95/month. Try Rhapsody for 14 days free for downloads, streaming music, burning and more.

http://www.real.com/

Originally posted by ANT
Josh Turner is good.

I think this is her name .... Carrie Underwood has a song called "Jesus take the wheel" that is pretty good too.

Yep, Carrie Underwood! She was the winner of last seasons American Idol.

Originally posted by Globachio
Gone back to old Bluegrass. Not "newgrass" but the *old* bluegrass. Especially gospel bluegrass.
Just a personal thing.

I hear ya! Love the bluegrass! But I do like Alison Krauss a lot.

Originally posted by Richard King
I like those three kids in Nickel Creek. They do fantastic music with the creativity of the Beatles at times but I don't know what genre you would put them in. I think it sounds like hill country music to me. I sure haven't grown tired of it.
http://www.nickelcreek.com/

Nickel Creek is good stuff. Don't know their background, theology, or political views, but they make good music.

Originally posted by houseparent
My favorites are;

Sara Evans
Lee Ann Womack
Johnny Cash
Lee Ann Rimes
Toby Keith

All time favorite: Alabama

Love the Man in Black! An Amercian icon.

You can't forget Emmylou Harris.
For some Texas country try Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, or Rodney Crowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back