Cost of Living in Other Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
With a little research, I am befuddled. When looking at home prices in countries like Haiti and Mexico, countries that you would think would be crazy cheap to live in as an American exchanging money, I see that housing seems to be even more expensive than where I live right now. How is this possible? $250,000 USD to build an average house in Mexico? How do the Mexicans afford to survive? If any of you live in another country, what is the exchange rate like? I always imagined an American with $100,000 in the bank could go to Haiti and retire off that. I guess I'm way off.

I am living in a nice city in Malaysia right now and the land prices are expensive, but rental prices are nice. Just rent a house. Also keep in mind that you might not even be able to purchase land or a house without a national co-signer in some countries.

Also, there is the issue of visas. You must have a current one to stay legally in some countries. Presently I am working on a visa to return to my country where I serve (Indonesia) at the same time as I am renewing visas to live in Malaysia to finish my health recovery. Every 90 days I must leave and re-enter the country to get a new stamp.

Then there is crime. In SE Asia it is lower. There are many expats here, some retiring at age 50. In Mexico I would not feel as safe as I do here.

Finally, 100,000 USD does not go so far anymore. A foreign country may require you to bank that money in their country. For instance, we had to open a bank account in Malaysia and had to show a minimum income per month to process a long-term visa. If you just come over without any monthly income, you'd be rejected.

Are you planning on retiring abroad? If so, I'd suggest thinking carefully about the pros and cons. Your primary concern, in my view, should not be financial.

We had a pastor come over from the States. They were considering moving to South Africa. He mentioned that he would like to live in a house like ours, but when he found out the house prices, he was shocked. Even sharing the monthly groceries-prices seemed on par with those in the States.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back