Correction regarding Manton's Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTK

Puritan Board Junior
Previously, I had indicated that Manton's works, consisting today in 22 volumes are all sermons. I want to correct my mistake. While virtually all of his volumes are sermons, volume 4 is rather a commentary on the Epistle of James, at least in its present form in this set. This seems to be the case with his treatment of Jude as well, which is found in volume 5.

Hope this helps if I have in any way misled someone regarding his works.

DTK

Certainly. Of course, many of his volumes are commentaries by that definition (Psalm 119, Hebrews 11, John 17).

Certainly. Of course, many of his volumes are commentaries by that definition (Psalm 119, Hebrews 11, John 17).
Thank you again. Yes, all sermons by Manton are expositional in nature, which is what makes his works all the more to be prized. But his treatment of Psalm 119, Hebrews 11, and John 17 are specifically identified as sermons in these volumes; whereas his treatment of James and Jude are specifically identified as Expositions and exist as such in the form of a commentary. In fact, his treatment of James is called, A Practical Commentary, Or An Exposition, With Notes, On the Epistle of James. It exists in the form of a running commentary, with no breaks such as his sermonic form elsewhere.

Again, I am only commenting on their present form in seeking to correct my previous mistake, thank you for bearing with me.

Blessings,
DTK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back