Corporate Confession of Sin - What Does It Look Like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Presbyterian

Puritan Board Doctor
This is a question for those of you who's local body include a corporate confession of sin in your order of worship. What does this look like as a matter of practice in your congregation? I'm not looking for a discussion on the pros and cons of the practice, just in finding out some of the actual practices that are found within the Reformed community.

Thanks in advance to any who respond.

PCA Book of Church order

52:2-under Public prayer
(c) c. Making humble confession of sin, both original and actual, acknowledging, and endeavoring to lead the heart of every worshipper with a deep sense of the evil of all sin, as such, as being a departure from the living God; and also taking a particular and affecting view of the various fruits which proceed from this root of bitterness; as sins against God, our neighbor and ourselves; sins in thought, in word, and in deed; sins secret and presumptuous; sins accidental and habitual. Also, the aggravations of sin, arising from knowledge, or the means of it; from distinguishing mercies; from valuable privileges; from breach of vows, etc.;

Days of fasting and thanksgiving:

62-6. On days of fasting, the minister should point out the authority and providences calling for the observance; and he should spend more than the usual time in solemn prayer, particular confession of sin, especially for the sins of the day and place; and the whole day should be spent in prayer and meditation. 62-7. On days

See Edwards post below as it would describe how this is practically done in our worship services.

Last edited:
At Westminster, we have some pastoral recitation of the Law, a summary of the Law, David's confession from the Psalter,..., followed by a corporate reading of a prayer (oft, a version of Psalm 51). That is followed by a individual, silent confession and assurance of pardon, followed by a singing of the Gloria Patri.

I'm not sure if you are asking 'what' or 'how'.

If you need examples of 'what', I'll be happy to point you to some resources.

As for the 'how', a pastor leads us in a recitation of confession which is printed in the bulletin. That is followed by a couple of minutes of silence for private confession. And that is followed by an appropriate scripture in response, read by the pastor.

A reading of the 10 commandments, a printed confession, a silent-private confession, a reading from the scripture of God's promises to his people.

I'm not sure if you are asking 'what' or 'how'.

If you need examples of 'what', I'll be happy to point you to some resources.

As for the 'how', a pastor leads us in a recitation of confession which is printed in the bulletin. That is followed by a couple of minutes of silence for private confession. And that is followed by an appropriate scripture in response, read by the pastor.

Is the confession authored by the minister? A passage of scripture? Something else?

Is the confession authored by the minister? A passage of scripture? Something else?

I'm not sure and have never asked. I did type a chunk of one into Google and it appears that that one might be adapted from John Knox's confession.

The same one is used for the various services of the day, unlike the Pastoral Prayer which each pastor makes unique to the service in which he is assisting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back