Core Christianity? I just learned of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuritanCovenanter

The Joyful Curmudgeon
Staff member
I didn't know which forum to place this in because there are so many issues here.

I heard that Michael Horton is involved with this group. I just recently learned about this site. It looks like Dr. Horton is heavily involved with it. Does he endorse this woman Pastor?

https://corechristianity.com/resour...oesnt-reward-our-hard-work-and-good-behavior?

A woman Pastor is given credence on this site.
Chelsea Kingston Erickson serves as Pastor of Youth and Families at First Congregational Church in Hamilton, MA,

Her view is very lopsided and seems to view everything through the lens of justification instead of understanding salvation as a whole. She makes reward from God sound like it is something that is always to be viewed as meritorious.

She is also incorrect about some other things. She tries to make all ground sound level when it comes to our identity. Yes, sure all ground is equal or level at the foot of the cross. But we also have some responsibility for our character as a Christian. We are excluded from certain offices of the Church if we are not blameless or have a good reputation. We can also be excommunicated for behavior. There is so much imbalance in this Lady Pastor's teaching. It appears to be another over emphasis on the justification issue again.

She is wrong by title...

God Doesn't Reward Our Hard Work and Good Behavior

The Heidelberg Catechism teaches that God does indeed graciously reward our good works: Q&A 63:.
But do our good works earn nothing,
even though God promises to reward them
in this life and the next?
A.
This reward is not earned;
it is a gift of grace.

This is confusing to me why Dr. Horton or something called Core Christianity would endorse a Female Pastor.

Last edited:
Just a few references noted to refute this woman Pastor's theology and possibly the theology of this supposed Core Christianity group.

WCF 16.6

Notwithstanding, the persons of believers being accepted through Christ, their good works also are accepted in him; not as though they were in this life wholly unblamable and unreprovable in God's sight; but that he, looking upon them in his Son, is pleased to accept and reward that which is sincere, although accompanied with many weaknesses and imperfections.

21 "The LORD dealt with me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands he rewarded me.
22 For I have kept the ways of the LORD and have not wickedly departed from my God.
23 For all his rules were before me, and from his statutes I did not turn aside.
24 I was blameless before him, and I kept myself from guilt.
25 And the LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to my cleanness in his sight.
26 "With the merciful you show yourself merciful; with the blameless man you show yourself blameless;
27 with the purified you deal purely, and with the crooked you make yourself seem tortuous. - 2 Samuel 22:21-27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back