Coptic Ethiopian Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coram Deo

Puritan Board Junior
What do we make of the Coptic Ethiopian Church? Are they outside of Salvation?

I know they are close or are "monophysite" since they believe that a complete, natural union of the Divine and Human Natures into One is self-evident in order to accomplish the divine salvation of humankind, as opposed to the "two Natures of Christ" belief (unmixed, but unseparated Divine and Human Natures, called the Hypostatic Union). They claim and call themselves miaphysite.

Does this pull them outside of Salvation? Since they have a different Christology?

In addition, their Old Testament Canon includes the books found in the Septuagint accepted by other Orthodox Christians, in addition to Enoch, Jubilees, 1 Esdras and 2 Esdras, 3 books of Makabis, and Psalm 151.

What do we make of them? Unregenerate? Hereticks? What?

Regardless of the christological question, what would you say about Romanists and Eastern Orthodox? Are those who follow their teachings outside of salvation, heretics or what?

Yes, I would say they are outside of salvation since they deny Justification by Faith Alone and add Works to Justification... I do not know where the Coptic Ethiopian Church stands on Justification...

I justed wanted to get everyone's stance on the Coptic Ethiopian Church since they are an interesting historical footnote.....

Nothing more then Curiosity....

Regardless of the christological question, what would you say about Romanists and Eastern Orthodox? Are those who follow their teachings outside of salvation, heretics or what?

I didn't know that... interesting......

I had learned of some other interesting facts.. like they are exclusive psalmist and a few other interesting facts..... hmmmm

In case you didn't know, one of the Ethiopian churches claims to have the Ark of the Covenant.

I didn't know that... interesting......

I had learned of some other interesting facts.. like they are exclusive psalmist and a few other interesting facts..... hmmmm

In case you didn't know, one of the Ethiopian churches claims to have the Ark of the Covenant.

I edited my post to add some links. One of the articles says that they have more of an OT and Judaic emphasis than do either Catholicism or Protestantism. If I recall correctly they tend to follow the OT dietary laws and regard both Saturday and Sunday as holy, although moreso Sunday. There was also a period of Jesuit influence in the Ethiopian church.

They do indeed say that they hold the ark in Axum. It sits in a shrine surrounded by a fence, and the priest that is its keeper is actually charged to stop whoever may try to see it by any means necessary. I've heard it is in the basement of this building below.

TreasuryStMarys.jpg

There is a huge Judaic influence because of their cultural background: the belief that their Kings were descended from Solomon and the Queen of Sheba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back