Contrasting Daniel commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
I know we just recently had a thread on commentaries on Daniel (https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/commentaries-on-daniel.93932/), but there is still more to ask.

Between the commentaries of Jerome and Theodoret which is more useful?
How does Olyott's Dare to Stand Alone compare with other commentaries in a similar register?
Is Carol Newsom's OTL commentary among the insightful or just exhausting entries in that series? (E.g., Clifford on Proverbs is helpful; Soggin on Judges is largely a waste of time.)
Any thoughts on George Schwab's Hope in the Midst of a Hostile World?

Haven't read Jerome and Theodoret. Jerome was the better linguist, though, so I imagine his would be superior. Olyott's work is good, but would not be better than Ferguson, Davis, and Duguid in similar veins. Schwab's work is helpful and recommended. Newsom is modern liberal, though a competent linguist and literary analyst.

Olyott's work is good, but would not be better than Ferguson, Davis, and Duguid in similar veins

Hi Lane,

You have promoted Duguid in the past, so I plan to use his commentary on Daniel next time I am in the book.

Ruben, if you are not familiar with Duguid, I would be happy to send a pdf of the first 50 or so pages if you like. Let me know.

Ed

Thank you, Ed, that's very kind! In this case, there's no need but I do appreciate the offer.

A hidden jewel is Dale Ralph Davis's commentary "The Message of Daniel" in The Bible Speaks Today series. He has a great way of explaining the main points and themes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back