Contemporary Reformed Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobVigneault

Bawberator
We were making lists at one time of contemporary music groups with reformed leanings. I can't find those threads. What are some groups that would fit into contemporary christian music that upholds the sovereignty of God and the doctrines of grace.

The obvious are Caedmon's Call, Derek Webb, Bebo Norman, Steve Camp, Wes King, Waterdeep, Christcentric, Cross Movement.

Last edited:
Stuart Townend, Michael Card, Matt Redman, and Graham Kendrick also have reformed leanings. Though these are technically not groups, they have written a lot of contemporary Christian songs which are strongly reformed. Kendrick, Redman and Townend are out of the UK, and you can get their cds online. We use a lot of their music in our worship services because their music is usually doctrinally sound and often comes straight out of the Scriptures. The familiar contemporary hymn, "How Deep the Father's Love for Us" was written by Townend. Kendrick has written several songs taken directly from the the Scriptures. One of my favorites is "To You O Lord" which is taken directly from Psalm 25.

If you are looking for music for worship services you can also look at Indelible Grace cds which are not always the best quality, but they have put old reformed hymns to contemporary settings. Another resource for reformed contemporary hymns is reformedpraise.org.

Hope this is helpful

The O.C. Supertones. They are ska but excellent and reformed. Even song titles such as: The perseverance of the Saints or Escape from Reason and songs mentioning Bahnsen, Shafer, Luther and Edwards.

Oops, I meant Waterdeep, not Watermark. I'm drawing the conclusion from the fact that Caedmon's Call helped to launch the careers of Norman and Waterdeep.

...Bebo Norman...Watermark...
Bob, could you point me where I might find info about these two in particular as being Reformed or Reformed Leaning? I've had my suspicions, but I'd like to read something. Thanks.

Last edited:
Stuart Townend, Michael Card, Matt Redman, and Graham Kendrick also have reformed leanings. Though these are technically not groups, they have written a lot of contemporary Christian songs which are strongly reformed. Kendrick, Redman and Townend are out of the UK, and you can get their cds online. We use a lot of their music in our worship services because their music is usually doctrinally sound and often comes straight out of the Scriptures. The familiar contemporary hymn, "How Deep the Father's Love for Us" was written by Townend. Kendrick has written several songs taken directly from the the Scriptures. One of my favorites is "To You O Lord" which is taken directly from Psalm 25.

If you are looking for music for worship services you can also look at Indelible Grace cds which are not always the best quality, but they have put old reformed hymns to contemporary settings. Another resource for reformed contemporary hymns is reformedpraise.org.

Hope this is helpful

I love Stuart Townend!!! :up::bouncy: Anyone ever heard of Matthew Smith? He sings some modernized hymns like "My Lord I Did Not Choose You" I love that one =D

I love Stuart Townend!!! Anyone ever heard of Matthew Smith? He sings some modernized hymns like "My Lord I Did Not Choose You" I love that one =D

Nikki,

Stuart Townend is definitely at the top of my list. One of the things I particularly like about his music is that it is varied in style. It's not all hymns.

I have never heard of Matthew Smith. I'll have to look him up.

I don't listen to any of these groups and I have only heard of a few of them and I don't think I have heard any of their songs. Does that make me uncool? ;)

Isn't Sufjan Stevens (Sp?) in the PCA?

There was another band called Plankeye in the 90's who I believe were OPC members.

I don't listen to any of these groups and I have only heard of a few of them and I don't think I have heard any of their songs. Does that make me uncool? ;)
Your coolness meter may have dropped a few points, but i'm sure there are ways to bring it back up :lol:

Old School Rockers who were/are Calvinist:

Precious Death (Some of the same, if not all the same members as Blackball)
Blackball (Some of the same, if not all the same members as Precious Death)

Plankeye (when Scott Siletta was still there...he made the band. Without him, they stink-no offense)

I loved Blackball! Now, I'm going to have to go back and check out their old lyrics... Supertones are good as well if you like the ska style.

For other praise music (I hate that term), check out Sovereign Grace Ministries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back