Connected but, no internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
For the techies on here,
There seem to be quite a few times anymore where suddenly, I have no internet connection. My phone, computer, kindle, will show a connection but, no internet and this persists for a few minutes up to an hour. There tends to be no rhyme or reason. Occasionally, my internet provider decided to do work and sever the connection but, not always. Likewise with restarting the modem.
So what gives? (I am on phone data right now).

It might just something happening on the service provider's end. Have you tried asking them / notifying them about the outages?

An interesting thing to do if you have access to your router's control interface would be to check the IP address on the WAN port. If you're connected to the internet, your WAN port should usually have a public IP address. If it has a private IP address ("10.x.x.x", "172.16-31.x.x", "192.168.x.x"), then it typically indicates that something on the service provider's side is wrong, or that the physical connection has been interrupted somewhere.

For the techies on here,
There seem to be quite a few times anymore where suddenly, I have no internet connection. My phone, computer, kindle, will show a connection but, no internet and this persists for a few minutes up to an hour. There tends to be no rhyme or reason. Occasionally, my internet provider decided to do work and sever the connection but, not always. Likewise with restarting the modem.
So what gives? (I am on phone data right now).
Bandwidth consumed by spying on you.

I have had difficulty with random outages also. I cannot pinpoint the source of the problem, but I have noticed it gets worse during the work day and got worse when students went remote for learning, so my guess is that there is not enough bandwidth to provide a smooth connection. Could be the same for you too?

Thanks for the info.
Might just be my provider at times. I know that my family when I am home doesnt usually have these issues streaming, zooming or otherwise. And it comes and goes, not at a specific time of the day or night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back