Confronting the sin of lying

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10797

“Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds”
Colossians 3:9

Paul links lying to the old way of life. Before salvation, we saw lying in two categories "little white lies" and "dark lies." The Christian ought to see all lying as God sees it, sinful and to be avoided. We understand that there is no such thing as little white lies, all lying is wrong and sinful.

The Bible says in Proverbs 12:22, “Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight. Psalm 119:163 continues, “I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.”

Those who have been born again to a living hope that is found in Jesus Christ are new creatures in Him. The body of Christ is a people who have put off the old man. We are to be living lives that are honest and trustworthy before a watching world. That is not always easy, but by God’s grace, we can lead an honest and truthful life.

The Bible says that God hates a lying tongue. Proverbs 6:16-17 says, “These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood.” Lying is when we say something that we know to be false with the intention to deliberately mislead someone. Below are some questions to help you address the sin of deceit. Answer them honestly before the Lord. We cannot lie to God as He knows all things about us. God is fully aware of the innermost thoughts and the secrets of our hearts.

Do you ever lie? Do you exaggerate to make yourself look better? Are you guilty of any form of cheating? If any of these be the case for you, confess and repent. This sin must be dealt with if an honest and godly manner prevails. The Christian should desire to be faithful and honest. Lying will destroy your relationships with family, friends, and fellow believers.

There was a time when a man's word was his bond. In times past there were a lot more honest and trustworthy people. It appears now that as the spiritual condition of the world declines there is also a lack of godly principles and values. Let us be a people that honours our words and seeks not to mislead people with our tongue.

There was a time when a man's word was his bond. In times past there were a lot more honest and trustworthy people. It appears now that as the spiritual condition of the world declines there is also a lack of godly principles and values. Let us be a people that honours our words and seeks not to mislead people with our tongue.

A good reminder of our need and focus in the Christian life, but I'm curious about this last paragraph. Specifically, the idea that the world is growing more evil.

In 1900 there where roughly half a billion Christians in the world. Today that count has risen x4 to roughly 2.2 billion. This comes out to 32% and 53%, respectively. There are more Christians in the world today then ever before, and the numbers keep rising. By the math, today more men should be considered trustworthy than ever before since more are followers of Jesus than ever before.

Blessings.

A good reminder of our need and focus in the Christian life, but I'm curious about this last paragraph. Specifically, the idea that the world is growing more evil.

In 1900 there where roughly half a billion Christians in the world. Today that count has risen x4 to roughly 2.2 billion. This comes out to 32% and 53%, respectively. There are more Christians in the world today then ever before, and the numbers keep rising. By the math, today more men should be considered trustworthy than ever before since more are followers of Jesus than ever before.

Blessings.
Not to argue, but could it be it is also more easier today to be considered a Christian than ever before?

“Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds”
Colossians 3:9

Paul links lying to the old way of life. Before salvation, we saw lying in two categories "little white lies" and "dark lies." The Christian ought to see all lying as God sees it, sinful and to be avoided. We understand that there is no such thing as little white lies, all lying is wrong and sinful.

The Bible says in Proverbs 12:22, “Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight. Psalm 119:163 continues, “I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.”

Those who have been born again to a living hope that is found in Jesus Christ are new creatures in Him. The body of Christ is a people who have put off the old man. We are to be living lives that are honest and trustworthy before a watching world. That is not always easy, but by God’s grace, we can lead an honest and truthful life.

The Bible says that God hates a lying tongue. Proverbs 6:16-17 says, “These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood.” Lying is when we say something that we know to be false with the intention to deliberately mislead someone. Below are some questions to help you address the sin of deceit. Answer them honestly before the Lord. We cannot lie to God as He knows all things about us. God is fully aware of the innermost thoughts and the secrets of our hearts.

Do you ever lie? Do you exaggerate to make yourself look better? Are you guilty of any form of cheating? If any of these be the case for you, confess and repent. This sin must be dealt with if an honest and godly manner prevails. The Christian should desire to be faithful and honest. Lying will destroy your relationships with family, friends, and fellow believers.

This is really good. I love the style and how you are dealing with sin and righteousness. Are these writings your own? I would love to keep seeing more. I feel like this is the Christianity the west really needs right now. In the business world, complete lies are the every day norm, where people have no shame at all about them. And often these are the people who would say they are Christians when asked. Simply put, we definitely need to get our morality straight, and teachings like this from pastors will definitely help. Thank you!

Not to argue, but could it be it is also more easier today to be considered a Christian than ever before?
A good question.
The answer varies. To a some Christianity seems much more monolithically inclusive, which might account for a percentage of members, but the number has been increasing since Pentecost, if not before.

Imagine being a follower of Christ and witnessing His death on the cross. That was the most significant event, followed only by His resurrection. In the former you'd be hard pressed to find the 12 followers. In the later there are over 500, and growing ever since, and that number increased within three days.
Eschatologically, there is no good reason to think that the world is growing more evil, or less Christian when all of the evidence, both historical and biblical points to the opposite.

A good question.
The answer varies. To a some Christianity seems much more monolithically inclusive, which might account for a percentage of members, but the number has been increasing since Pentecost, if not before.

Imagine being a follower of Christ and witnessing His death on the cross. That was the most significant event, followed only by His resurrection. In the former you'd be hard pressed to find the 12 followers. In the later there are over 500, and growing ever since, and that number increased within three days.
Eschatologically, there is no good reason to think that the world is growing more evil, or less Christian when all of the evidence, both historical and biblical points to the opposite.

Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.

2 Tim 3 :12-13

Personally I've been subject to more persecution from professing Christians than non Christians. And that includes being victim of slander (lying).

Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.

2 Tim 3 :12-13

Personally I've been subject to more persecution from professing Christians than non Christians. And that includes being victim of slander (lying).

So, to be eschatologically clear, "The last days" which Paul is referring to here in his letter, 2 Timothy 3:12-17 (expanded for context) is NOT referring to some specific time in the future just before Christ returns. Rather, this term here, "Last Days", is in keeping with all of the OT and the NT, to refer to the time AFTER the ascension of Christ and BEFORE His physical return in the second coming.

Paul reminds Timothy that the Church, and all who desire to live a Godly life will.....although persecuted....WIN. In Timothy's day the church was a particle size, a fragment in the world compared to what it is today.

The church has grown, but "evil men growing worse and worse", shows progression.

The church may be larger today, but I think the hostility toward it and the slander leveled against the Gospel has increased.

The church has grown, but "evil men growing worse and worse", shows progression.

The church may be larger today, but I think the hostility toward it and the slander leveled against the Gospel has increased.
You have to tamper that view with freedom to worship in many places especially in the West

Yes.
Paul's letter to Timothy is also to us. Be strong, be warned against false teachings, but also be encouraged. Jesus doesn't come back to an apostate church. He is building His church throughout time and space. What a great privilege we have to help, and to be used by Him in this endeavor.

Blessings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back