Confessional EP Church Planting

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottmaciver

Puritan Board Sophomore
I recently read this article in relation to a church plant in Las Vegas. It's encouraging to see churches being planted on principle, as opposed to pragmatism, despite suggestions from some that an a capella Psalm singing church was doomed to fail in Las Vegas.

Our own church in Stornoway, Scotland was a Church plant 6 years ago. In Stornoway, a reasonably high proportion of the population attend church, whereas that is obviously not the case in Las Vegas. Two very different locations and cultures, yet the same confessional subscription and practice.

Does anyone have any experience of such a church plant? Are there any lessons learnt, positive and negative? Also, does anyone have any idea of how many denominations are involved in confessional EP church planting?

I recently read this article in relation to a church plant in Las Vegas. It's encouraging to see churches being planted on principle, as opposed to pragmatism, despite suggestions from some that an a capella Psalm singing church was doomed to fail in Las Vegas.

Our own church in Stornoway, Scotland was a Church plant 6 years ago. In Stornoway, a reasonably high proportion of the population attend church, whereas that is obviously not the case in Las Vegas. Two very different locations and cultures, yet the same confessional subscription and practice.

Does anyone have any experience of such a church plant? Are there any lessons learnt, positive and negative? Also, does anyone have any idea of how many denominations are involved in confessional EP church planting?

This I do know. If one starts a church with EP being front and center. be ready to not grow. I say this with the conviction that EP is the way to go.

This I do know. If one starts a church with EP being front and center. be ready to not grow. I say this with the conviction that EP is the way to go.

Thanks Earl. Just to clarify, I am not referring to EP being front and centre, over and above any other Biblical conviction.

Great topic. Love to hear about this kind of church planting. Hope to read the responses from folks with more experience.

I'm a year deep on an EP plant. As the link concisely puts, "Not all were happy."

Every visitor is important. Every member is precious. Every sermon is vital.

“Out of the desert blossomed an outpost of Jesus Christ—an outpost from where the gospel will go forth.“ (From the article)

This is a great testimony of God’s work in even the most destitute of places.

The Pilgrim Covenant church Singapore was established on the biblical EP principle. It started with about 60 largely unconvinced members, and built up slowly over the years to about 190. There was repeated teaching on the matter as well as 5 Point Calvinism, with also teaching against dispensationalism.. Some in the process of time after being faithful in submitting to the teaching felt they were not able to accept the position and left amicably. The lesson drawn by me at least is, that any planting has to have a definite doctrinal stance, for if the trumpet give an uncertain sound who shall prepare himself for the battle. If there is a dichotomy on issues such as baptism, worship etc then fragmentation is inevitable. The secret is teaching and building up upon the most holy faith.
As a consequence, a planting in Malaysia has started upon the same convictions. Little acorns grow into mighty oaks under the blessing of God.

Any denomination that holds to exclusive psalmody is involved or has been involved with such church plants (RPCNA, FCC, Presbyterian Reformed Church, FPCS, etc.). I have been involved with two.

The lesson drawn by me at least is, that any planting has to have a definite doctrinal stance, for if the trumpet give an uncertain sound who shall prepare himself for the battle. If there is a dichotomy on issues such as baptism, worship etc then fragmentation is inevitable. The secret is teaching and building up upon the most holy faith.

This is great. I know many will look at issues like E.P. and see them as divisive, but the truth is that even lots of doctrinal stances that we all take for granted will be divisive to some, and it comes with the territory in planting churches. Some areas are hard ground for any faithful gospel witness.

While many EP churches will have very defined doctrine, the first "church plant" I was ever in any way involved in was in some ways the opposite. It was a church united around the gospel and the five points of Calvinism, but with a lot of openness beyond that point. Some people came and left because they were offended at the diversity allowed. Some were offended that an elder was dispensationalist, even though most of the elders weren't. Another was offended because an elder didn't have a hard stance against paedobaptism even though the church was officially credobaptist. But then, some still found the church too rigid in, for example, being Calvinist.

What I will say from having known and worshiped with people in several churches which no longer exist is that churches with a long list of distinctives often end up with more people coming solely for doctrine, and others never feel like they fit in. This has been EP churches, theonomist churches, family integrated churches... often people who come just for the theology that most closes matches their own tend to be of a certain disposition, not necessarily from the immediate area of the church, and can make the church more inwardly focused. I will sadly say that 4 congregations I have worshipped with many times and with many people who have made impacts on my life no longer exist.

Is there a longer history of this? Would love to read more.

The Pilgrim Covenant church Singapore was established on the biblical EP principle. It started with about 60 largely unconvinced members, and built up slowly over the years to about 190. There was repeated teaching on the matter as well as 5 Point Calvinism, with also teaching against dispensationalism.. Some in the process of time after being faithful in submitting to the teaching felt they were not able to accept the position and left amicably. The lesson drawn by me at least is, that any planting has to have a definite doctrinal stance, for if the trumpet give an uncertain sound who shall prepare himself for the battle. If there is a dichotomy on issues such as baptism, worship etc then fragmentation is inevitable. The secret is teaching and building up upon the most holy faith.
As a consequence, a planting in Malaysia has started upon the same convictions. Little acorns grow into mighty oaks under the blessing of God.

Well, they may only sing Psalms and eschew instruments, but if folks end up like this:

Another person commented that the “RPCNA’s money” should not go to help out in such a city as Las Vegas. Why would we plant a church there? It is so sinful. It is so unsafe. I’ve heard that with my own ears.

they might be a lot better off at the PCA church.

Well, they may only sing Psalms and eschew instruments, but if folks end up like this:

they might be a lot better off at the PCA church.

I'm sure you can find that attitude in any denomination, it's clearly sinful and wrong and should not be tolerated.

I am part of an EP church plant in Dayton Tennessee.

I considered it a great blessing that in the providence of God my family is a part of this church plant. I believe that God is quietly reviving his people and causing a spiritual awakening in the US.

I am part of an EP church plant in Dayton Tennessee.

I considered it a great blessing that in the providence of God my family is a part of this church plant. I believe that God is quietly reviving his people and causing a spiritual awakening in the US.

That's great to hear that. A few questions if you don't mind?

What process was involved in planting the church? Who formed the core group? How was the decision taken to plant a church in that particular location? How does the church reach out to the surrounding community?

Jeff,

At what point is it right for a church plant to begin to look at planting a new church, either nearby, or further afield?

I would say that when a church reaches around the two hundred mark then it is time to hive off some members to start a new work in another location, and thus begin a presbytery if one is not in existence. But in the example given, a family desired the Reformed faith in their area, and contacted the session who responded to the call. The church is blest in having three Ministers, two raised up from their own members, and qualified. So that mission work in several countries ensued, and students from those nations brought under the teaching of this church, and regularly examined. Medical teams from the doctors, nurses and even youth in the church have paid visits to the Philippines, Thailand,and Malawi. They also support a number of children hostels in Thailand amongst the Karen people, and send a sister two or three times year to teach the children English. Also they have printed the Psalms in the languages, and the WCF.
So much can be done even with small numbers and a visionary outlook.

I state two hundred as a reasonable number for any Minister and session to handle. Two hundred members means two hundred problems for the Minister, and that is a big pastoral challenge and responsibility.

I have mixed feelings about discussions of this nature. While I am EP to the backbone, I do wonder if we should be planting churches in the vicinity of other Reformed congregations that are not EP. It would seem to me to be better to plant churches where there are no Reformed congregations at all. In the former situation, you tend only to disproportionately attract malcontents from other denominations. That is not entirely a bad thing, but it is hardly the main priority in church planting.

I would say that when a church reaches around the two hundred mark then it is time to hive off some members to start a new work in another location, and thus begin a presbytery if one is not in existence. But in the example given, a family desired the Reformed faith in their area, and contacted the session who responded to the call. The church is blest in having three Ministers, two raised up from their own members, and qualified. So that mission work in several countries ensued, and students from those nations brought under the teaching of this church, and regularly examined. Medical teams from the doctors, nurses and even youth in the church have paid visits to the Philippines, Thailand,and Malawi. They also support a number of children hostels in Thailand amongst the Karen people, and send a sister two or three times year to teach the children English. Also they have printed the Psalms in the languages, and the WCF.
So much can be done even with small numbers and a visionary outlook.

Pilgrim Covenant Singapore seems to be an excellent example of a church plant that has it's priorities in order, spiritually & practically. I like the engagement with nearby Malaysia & mission work further afield. I think there could be a lot for some of us to learn from.

I have mixed feelings about discussions of this nature. While I am EP to the backbone, I do wonder if we should be planting churches in the vicinity of other Reformed congregations that are not EP. It would seem to me to be better to plant churches where there are no Reformed congregations at all. In the former situation, you tend only to disproportionately attract malcontents from other denominations. That is not entirely a bad thing, but it is hardly the main priority in church planting.

Vegas is pretty sparse on Reformed churches of any denomination. The NAPARC map shows five churches nearby: the RPCNA mentioned here, two English PCAs, and two Korean churches. That doesn't seem like they're encroaching on each other's people. (They do seem to be all located on the western side of town, but I'm not familiar enough with the area to know if that's overly concentrated.)

That's great to hear that. A few questions if you don't mind?

What process was involved in planting the church? Who formed the core group? How was the decision taken to plant a church in that particular location? How does the church reach out to the surrounding community?

About seven years ago a small group of people began a Friday night Bible study, many of these people traveled an hour or more to go to church and were thinking it would be good if they could somehow get a reformed church planted in the area. The OPC originally started a preaching station but after a few years they (the OPC) decided that the group was not financially viable. The Church planting arm of the RPCNA then got involved with the group and made them a preaching station, at this point half the people left the group over the issue of EP. It was at this point that my family joined the group. Since that time the group has doubled in size, and officially become a RPCNA Church plant. We currently have a Temporary Governing Body acting as our session and DR. C. Matthew McMahon is preaching for us for the next year.

There is a small Christian college a few blocks from where we meet. We regularly hand out books and tracts on the campus and invite students to join us for worship. We also rent booths at local festivals (Strawberry and Pumpkin) and hand out books and tracts there as well. I happen to love the Pumpkin festival 800 kids show up for Halloween and we give them candy, catechisms and Gospel tracts. We also have Friday night Bible study and invite non members, this has been very fruitful, we also practice hospitality.

In the last few months the Lord has blessed us with a free building (we just pay the light bill). This will allow us to have a mid week prayer meeting and a Bible study in addition to Sunday worship. We will have 24\7 access to the new building which will allow us more time of fellowship.

We are growing in both Grace and numbers. We have a solid group it is not uncommon for us to finish worship at 12 and still be standing around discussing theology at 3:30 in the parking lot.

About seven years ago a small group of people began a Friday night Bible study, many of these people traveled an hour or more to go to church and were thinking it would be good if they could somehow get a reformed church planted in the area. The OPC originally started a preaching station but after a few years they (the OPC) decided that the group was not financially viable. The Church planting arm of the RPCNA then got involved with the group and made them a preaching station, at this point half the people left the group over the issue of EP. It was at this point that my family joined the group. Since that time the group has doubled in size, and officially become a RPCNA Church plant. We currently have a Temporary Governing Body acting as our session and DR. C. Matthew McMahon is preaching for us for the next year.

There is a small Christian college a few blocks from where we meet. We regularly hand out books and tracts on the campus and invite students to join us for worship. We also rent booths at local festivals (Strawberry and Pumpkin) and hand out books and tracts there as well. I happen to love the Pumpkin festival 800 kids show up for Halloween and we give them candy, catechisms and Gospel tracts. We also have Friday night Bible study and invite non members, this has been very fruitful, we also practice hospitality.

In the last few months the Lord has blessed us with a free building (we just pay the light bill). This will allow us to have a mid week prayer meeting and a Bible study in addition to Sunday worship. We will have 24\7 access to the new building which will allow us more time of fellowship.

We are growing in both Grace and numbers. We have a solid group it is not uncommon for us to finish worship at 12 and still be standing around discussing theology at 3:30 in the parking lot.

Many thanks for sharing that Bill. Growing in grace and numbers is a great testimony as to how the work is progressing.

I was interested to hear of how the work began as a small group through a Bible study. It makes good practical sense to me to begin the work in such a way, in order to see how it develops, before committing to anything beyond that, financially and otherwise. A free building is a wonderful and encouraging provision and the fact that you are regularly remaining behind after the worship service in discussion suggests a good spiritual appetite amongst the group.

I noticed pastor Quigley on your churches website, he has preached for us in the past.

Bill, your post has warmed my heart. The Dayton church has been on my mind a great deal lately, and I've longed to come up for a visit. It's been too long.

I will try to keep you posted as to the next fellowship meal so you can come and spend the day with us.

While I am EP to the backbone, I do wonder if we should be planting churches in the vicinity of other Reformed congregations that are not EP.

While I am certainly not EP, I would think it would be sensible to plant an EP congregation in an area with a large base of reformed folks where there wasn't currently such an option. If you have a population of, say, 10,000 reformed folks, odds are that some are going to favor EP but be members elsewhere as the best option available.

Vegas is pretty sparse on Reformed churches of any denomination. The NAPARC map shows five churches nearby: the RPCNA mentioned here, two English PCAs, and two Korean churches. That doesn't seem like they're encroaching on each other's people. (They do seem to be all located on the western side of town, but I'm not familiar enough with the area to know if that's overly concentrated.)

My recollection is that Las Vegas has large Catholic and Mormon populations. I don't recall the economic distribution, but my recollection is also that most of the nice new suburbs were in the west.

A quick Google turned up the following percentages (and if it is on the internet, we know it has to be true ;))
About 37% of the people are 'religious' with about 19% RC and about 6.5% RC, leaving about 12% for protestants, Jews, Muslims, cultists and others on a population base of somewhere over 2,000,000.

I would think it would be sensible to plant an EP congregation in an area with a large base of reformed folks where there wasn't currently such an option. If you have a population of, say, 10,000 reformed folks, odds are that some are going to favor EP but be members elsewhere as the best option available.

I see the logic of that argument in those circumstances, but I suppose that I was thinking of planting EP churches nearby other struggling Reformed congregations.

I see the logic of that argument in those circumstances, but I suppose that I was thinking of planting EP churches nearby other struggling Reformed congregations.

Following the principles of the NAPARC comity agreement (even for non-members) would avoid that problem.

Although I would think that, in most cases, if a reformed church was struggling, the issue wouldn't be the songs that were being sung and how they were sung. Either it is a difficult area, in which case stewardship would suggest planting elsewhere, or there is a need for a vibrant reformed witness in the area, and the only concern would be importing issues from the struggling church.

I am involved in two church plants. One is my home church (Dallas RPCNA). Dallas RPC is almost five years old and we have an attendance that hovers around fifty souls each Lord's Day, and mercifully has grown by a family or two each year. The other is a church in our Presbytery where I am serving as a provisional elder.

Our home church stresses the doctrinal importance of our denominational distinctives as vital and important. We teach that they give a clearer picture of Christ. We believe that they honor Christ. We believe that the Sabbath is to be kept Holy and honored to the glory of Christ, the Lord of the Sabbath. We love these things and visitors see our love for the gospel as well as these other teachings of the Scripture.

Our members are at our church because they have come to believe these things. I must stress that many did not until they started attending! I feel confident that if our session were to be hit by a bus and went to glory -- that the congregation would persevere and not leave to other NAPARC churches near us; in many cases much closer to those members who travel over an hour to be with us.

The other church I serve did not stress these things in their ministry. As such, when their pastor left, they have men training to be elders who have never really thought through the importance of these distinctives. Some of their people have left to go to other churches. They were more tied to the old preacher and his style of preaching than to the teachings of the church. Not particularly convinced of Exclusive Psalmody because it was never stressed as far as I can tell. If you want to have a strong EP church, the distinctives must become important -- otherwise you will have a mixed multitude that attend worship services and in the day of trouble, they will scatter.

Better to start off slowly and strongly and integrate new members than to watch them leave one day in the future when a church shows up with a more engaging preacher or offers children's programs that your church doesn't have, etc.

Notice: this doesn't just happen to EP churches. It happens to all Reformed churches. Teach them why you are Reformed. Why you are Presbyterian. Why you baptize households of faith. Otherwise, your people will leave when something else catches their fancy. And if the leadership is not convinced of the importance of your church's distinctives -- shame on them.

I am involved in an EP work right now that's comprised of two families. We have six children and the other family has five, so that makes 15 souls, twice each Lord's Day, in the little meeting house we rent. We are in a semi-rural area with a lot of Baptist and Moravian churches. I was also surprised to find there are Methodist and PCUSA churches here with women listed as "pastor" on their church signs. We drive by one on our way to worship and the parking lot is always full. Not something I would have expected in this southern state.

I'm always talking to people in the community and usually invite at least one person I meet to worship with us each week. I have put information about the services on various bulletin boards around town. We have gone door to door in neighborhoods to let people know about us. Still, our only visitors are friends who come to worship with us occasionally from the Free Church (Continuing).

Unlike other EP works I've heard about, where there are at least some semi-Reformed persons in the area that will want to visit and learn more about EP, it seems that the work in our area will center around laboring in the fields of new believers and Baptists. I sometimes wonder what I would say if I met some of the Methodists who have a woman "pastor"? I would want them to understand the great danger of this, but I wouldn't want to be too confrontational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back