Confessional Baptists, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Presbyterian brothers: thank you for your refreshing honesty. I was trying to be complimentary towards you. The WCF is a wonderful document and has done much good for the sake of Christ's church, as has the LBC.

Baptists: can you please come out of the woodwork? I mean it, you guys are like a bunch of prairie dogs, ducking your head quick when you hear incoming fire. :lol:

Bill,

I have studied through the LBCF (using Sam Waldron's book), along with the WCF, and the Philadelphia CF of 1742 (which I found myself to not be in agreement with). I agree, the LBCF is an excellent document like the WCF and we need to study it more.
One of the things I think is interesting about confessions and have discussed with another elder in our church is - it would make more sense to state the Bible passages first (the absolute truths we see in scripture) and then state the confessional stance. In some ways, confessions seem backwards to me.

What objections do you have to the Phila. Confession? I have to confess that I haven't studied it. My understanding is that it was based on the 2nd LBCF (1689) with some additional chapters and maybe a few other modifications.

I think the Philadelphia Confession is a good one. It's the first calvinistic document I read. The Baptist Faith and Message came down from it, watered down, but that's where it came from.

It just dawned on me that in mid-July this year I will have been a Baptist (and a Christian) for forty years. My spiritual re-birthday was on July 15, 1968.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back