Concrete Foundation - Code stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
I'm banking on the fact that there are a lot of people with a variety of skills.

I'm tearing down a shed on my property and erecting a 24'x36' steel truss Garage similar to this video:

I've figured out I need to get a soil test done (county requirements) and the guy is coming by today to do that. I'll have the results in 2-3 weeks.

I'll also be getting my engineered and stamped drawings of the structure in a couple of weeks.

The county requires a map showing where it will be so I have a GIS picture depicting where the shed will be. I'll also be submitting the engineered building diagram and a concrete slab "thing".

I say thing because I need some advice about putting together what I'll get back from the soil engineer and the engineered drawings. Since it is steel truss design I don't need a footer to go all the way around but only need 8 piers or footers and then I'll pour a slaop atop that. How do I demonstrate to the county that I've put the footers to a sufficient depth?

Any help is appreciated.

Would the county need to speck the hole depths before you pour?
I say thing because I need some advice about putting together what I'll get back from the soil engineer and the engineered drawings. Since it is steel truss design I don't need a footer to go all the way around but only need 8 piers or footers and then I'll pour a slaop atop that. How do I demonstrate to the county that I've put the footers to a sufficient depth?

Talk to your local building inspector, most of the time they don’t inspect anything, it is just a money grab. Take pictures.

It's not a matter of whether it will be inspected. Because the structure is above 500 square feet, I have to submit my plans for approval. Toward that end, the footers will need to be pured to a sufficeint size/depth to take advantage of the load and uplift. I'll probably be able to figure it out but was checking with some folks here who may have done some calculations for foundations.

Rich, when I initially saw the heading 'concrete foundation' I thought you were about to start a jucy philosophical discussion on Concrete universals, or discuss how your own theology was firmly set in concrete. :lol:

I'm wondering if the engineering firm drawing up the design wouldn't be knowledgeable as to the local building code and requirements for such a structure ?

I'm wondering if the engineering firm drawing up the design wouldn't be knowledgeable as to the local building code and requirements for such a structure ?
I'm purchasing the structure from Worldwide Steel Buildings after extensive research. I'll be putting it together myself along with some friends in March. The structure is well engineered and has a 50 year warranty. They can engineer the foundation for me based on soil conditions but it would cost me an additional $600.
I've got a couple of engineering degrees and can probably do the math if someone knows how the math is done. The soil test will determine how much load the soil can bear (and other stuff) and based on soil composition (to include acidity) they will prescribe the mixture, etc but there are going to be considerations as to how deep the footers will have to be dug that will be a combination of the load of each leg of the truss combined with the nature of the soil that will determine how deep to dig each footer.

I'm purchasing the structure from Worldwide Steel Buildings after extensive research. I'll be putting it together myself along with some friends in March. The structure is well engineered and has a 50 year warranty. They can engineer the foundation for me based on soil conditions but it would cost me an additional $600.
I've got a couple of engineering degrees and can probably do the math if someone knows how the math is done. The soil test will determine how much load the soil can bear (and other stuff) and based on soil composition (to include acidity) they will prescribe the mixture, etc but there are going to be considerations as to how deep the footers will have to be dug that will be a combination of the load of each leg of the truss combined with the nature of the soil that will determine how deep to dig each footer.
I was a union ironworker for 20 years in my younger days and would imagine a grade beam with reinforcing steel between column footers would be required. Wire mesh for the interior portion of the slab probably. With your engineering background I reckon you'll be able to come up with the correct specifications.

The Soil and Conservation office would be your best bet. They've likely done surveys for your area and could interpret a sight-specific soil study.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back