Completely Free Online Reformed Seminary

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryjf

Puritan Board Senior
Just wanted to let everybody know of this ministry.
The North American Reformed Seminary is a completely free, online, Reformed seminary.

If anyone is willing to help the school out, we would love to have some more folks on board.

If anyone is interested in becoming a student, we would love to have them sign up as well.

Thank for the reminder. I've seen this posted elsewhere. It is very intriguing. The course work looks pretty intense. A really good viable option for those not worried about the piece of paper... Also noticed that less than 4% who start actually finish... guess that is one problem with free... little easier to "blow off."

I noticed several "we"s in there... what is your role with the program?

Also, as a designer, I love the minimalist approach to the site... however, launching a new page for every link is pretty annoying.

Mr. Burns,

I am a member of the Research Department. The Research Dept. manages the school and mentors the students.

I am probably going to get rid of the new window links to the tnars website pages...but we have been so concerned with getting the academics up that this has taken a lower priority.

Do ya'll have a summer program or let people take single couses a semester?

I'm currently in law school, but would like a seminary education very much. Just no time or $$.

Do ya'll have a summer program or let people take single couses a semester?

I'm currently in law school, but would like a seminary education very much. Just no time or $$.

You can start the programs any time you want, and you can go as fast or as slowly as you like.
The Admissions page has the details of what we need from the student to start the program.

Covenant Worldwide has free downloads, The Theology Program is also online for free but I doubt it's Reformed and then you have Biblical Training. I noticed NARS uses courses and outlines from TTP and BT.

j

Yes.
We use free resources that are found on the internet. That's one of the ways we keep the program free.
We also use copyright-free books found on sites such as Welcome | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

If i'm not mistaken we only have about 6 classes from The Theology Program, and they are at the Associate degree level. I'm not sure which ones you would consider non-Reformed, but if you could give more details about that we could certainly change the class requirements.

I see I need a letter of rec. from a church officer. Can I recommend myself? :)

*Knew that being a deacon had to entail more than getting complained to about the color of the fellowship hall walls* :p

I see I need a letter of rec. from a church officer. Can I recommend myself? :)

*Knew that being a deacon had to entail more than getting complained to about the color of the fellowship hall walls* :p

One of the reasons we ask for a church officer to give a recommendation is so that we have someone local to the student who has spiritual oversight of them. We are not only interested in the academic, but also the spiritual growth of the student. When we get the recommendation from a church officer they are able to follow up with the students education, and we are able to contact that officer if we want to find out what's going on in the student's life at the local level.

I think I might definiatly be interested in a class or two this summer, maybe before then I don't know.

I'll ask my pastor what he thiks and get him to take a look. I'm afraid it might be too much for me right now to try to take on an extra seminary class with the law load I have, although I want to do so very badly. I have to make good grades in order to get married, and I think that trumps my interest in this, at least for right now.

I am happy to know of this resource!

However, in taking a quick glance at the Master of Theology curriculum, I am struck that at the great disparity between the work required at NARS and other Reformed seminaries.

For instance, the 3 systematic theology courses each only require reading of one book (each of the three courses requires one volume of Hodge's ST), and writing a number of essays. However, one of the great benefits of seminary is not just getting a reading list, but the lectures, the explanations, the proddings of the experienced and learned professors, and interaction with other students. These seem to be absent from the NARS program, except for interaction with the mentor. However, the question remains as to the giftedness of each mentor, the time they have to give, the quality of interaction, etc.

I've done a good bit of thinking along these lines myself, as I started and run the Amarillo Theological Institute. However, our ST courses are currently taped lectures from Reformed Seminaries, and the required reading from those courses are made available in the church library, while I facilitate discussion with the students. However, I make it clear that ATI in no way takes the place of the seminary. in my opinion, NARS looks good for a lay person, or a RE or Deacon candidate who wants to learn more. I don't see it as in the same league as the training that is taking place at other Reformed seminaries (at this time).

However, I do encourage you to keep plodding forward in your efforts to help others grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ!

Interesting.

How many students are currently enrolled?

The current number of enrolled students is 3, with another who is just starting the process of enrolling.

What is the 4% completed based on? How long has this program been available?

My intention is not to grill you, I think this is a great program for the layman and I am interested to see how well it has been going.

However, in taking a quick glance at the Master of Theology curriculum, I am struck that at the great disparity between the work required at NARS and other Reformed seminaries.

For instance, the 3 systematic theology courses each only require reading of one book (each of the three courses requires one volume of Hodge's ST), and writing a number of essays. However, one of the great benefits of seminary is not just getting a reading list, but the lectures, the explanations, the proddings of the experienced and learned professors, and interaction with other students. These seem to be absent from the NARS program, except for interaction with the mentor. However, the question remains as to the giftedness of each mentor, the time they have to give, the quality of interaction, etc.

I've done a good bit of thinking along these lines myself, as I started and run the Amarillo Theological Institute. However, our ST courses are currently taped lectures from Reformed Seminaries, and the required reading from those courses are made available in the church library, while I facilitate discussion with the students. However, I make it clear that ATI in no way takes the place of the seminary. in my opinion, NARS looks good for a lay person, or a RE or Deacon candidate who wants to learn more. I don't see it as in the same league as the training that is taking place at other Reformed seminaries (at this time).

However, I do encourage you to keep plodding forward in your efforts to help others grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ!

This is inline with my thoughts as I look at the site.

I am encouraged that such a resource is available; however, I do not agree that a person is qualified to be an ordained Teaching Elder after completing such a curriculum. There is much more required to be prepared for such a calling than reading certain books, listening to lectures and writing essays.

I think such a program is outstanding for the layman who aspires to be in a non-pastoral office such as Deacon or Ruling elder or even just to better equip him in general. :2cents:

Some of our courses have lectures, others do not. For the Th.M. program notice that classes such as "Disputation of Martin Luther", "Calvin's Institutes", and others have lectures that are part of the class work.

What is the 4% completed based on? How long has this program been available?

My intention is not to grill you, I think this is a great program for the layman and I am interested to see how well it has been going.

Excellent question.
TNARS was connected to the North American Theological Society(NATS) for a time. NATS claimed adherence to the Westminster Standards, so many of us were confident of their theological perspective. It was later found out that NATS denied the doctrine of the Trinity and were, in fact, modalist. Upon learning of this I discussed the issue with the founder of NATS so as to show him the errors of modalism and why the Trinity was a biblical teaching. After some discussion it was shown that he was not convicted that the Trinity is a true doctrine. It was at this point that many of us left NATS and separated TNARS from the institution.

So...the school was around before it's current state as a seminary under NATS oversight. And it is this track record that gives us the 4% number. I'm not sure how long NATS has been in existence, but i think at least a few years. TNARS, in its current state, has only been around for a few weeks.

This is inline with my thoughts as I look at the site.

I am encouraged that such a resource is available; however, I do not agree that a person is qualified to be an ordained Teaching Elder after completing such a curriculum. There is much more required to be prepared for such a calling than reading certain books, listening to lectures and writing essays.

I think such a program is outstanding for the layman who aspires to be in a non-pastoral office such as Deacon or Ruling elder or even just to better equip him in general. :2cents:

I understand. I'm sure there will be quite a few folks who feel the same way.

Personally, i don't think that any seminary makes a person qualified to be ordained as a TE. I think there is much more to it than an education...like piety.

That's one of the things we try to get across at TNARS...not only academics, but practical living out God's Word in the lives of the students. That's why we seek to mentor them not only in their studies, but also in their walk with God, and get their church officers involved with it.

Perhaps you could be more specific as to what else should be required from a school. It's hard to improve the program with general remarks...with more specifics we can work to improve the program.

This looks like a great resource, but I have a few questions:
1. Who teaches the courses?
2. How do you cover your costs if it is "free"? (remember the old addage: nothing is free)
3. How do you receive students? Do you not check references and attest their gifts before admitting them to the program?
4. How is the seminary governed?
5. What is the difference between a PhD and a Doctorate in Theology?

Thank you.

2. How do you cover your costs if it is "free"? (remember the old addage: nothing is free)
3. How do you receive students? Do you not check references and attest their gifts before admitting them to the program?

Thank you.

1. The Research Department contains those who teach the courses. Many may be involved with the grading, but only one would be the mentor and direct teacher of a particular student.

2. The cost is covered...all materials are available for free, all Research Dept. members volunteer their time...so we could use many more volunteers.

3. The "admissions" page specifies how a student becomes enrolled. Basically three things are required...
* Statement of Christian experience
* Letter of recommendation from a church officer
* Statement of your agreement with our doctrinal standards, explaining any disagreements that you have to it.

4. It is governed directly by the Research Department.

5. Why do you ask?...we don't offer either.

Thank you.

1. The Research Department contains those who teach the courses. Many may be involved with the grading, but only one would be the mentor and direct teacher of a particular student.

2. The cost is covered...all materials are available for free, all Research Dept. members volunteer their time...so we could use many more volunteers.

3. The "admissions" page specifies how a student becomes enrolled. Basically three things are required...
* Statement of Christian experience
* Letter of recommendation from a church officer
* Statement of your agreement with our doctrinal standards, explaining any disagreements that you have to it.

4. It is governed directly by the Research Department.

5. Why do you ask?...we don't offer either.

I am sorry I meant to say Doctor of Divinity. :duh: I was curious because many pastors are doing PhD work and I was curious what the difference was between the two.

I am sorry I meant to say Doctor of Divinity. :duh: I was curious because many pastors are doing PhD work and I was curious what the difference was between the two.

• We are not legally permitted to award a Ph.D.
  • The D.D. is specific to divinity whereas the Ph.D. is not. A Ph.D. can be in just about any subject.

Perhaps you could be more specific as to what else should be required from a school. It's hard to improve the program with general remarks...with more specifics we can work to improve the program.

Larry, this is a fair point. My advice would be for the men on the research council to dialogue with professors at seminaries such as WSC, WTS, Covenant, RTS, etc., to collect syllabi from courses and see what materials is being covered, what readings are required, etc.

You can purchase lectures of many different courses through Westminster Media: Westminster Bookstore - Reformed Books - Low Prices - $5 Shipping - Westminster Media
And you can contact the professor to request the syllabus. I just completed Dr. Gaffin's Intro to ST course with 5 men in Amarillo, and it was very profitable. Next, we are going to listen to Dr. Strimple's Doctrine of Man course, available from WSC: Westminster Seminary California Bookstore

I highly recommend you purchasing the three courses by Dr. Strimple. They each come with the course syllabus that details what is taught, what readings are required on what topics, etc...

This will give you an idea of how your current curriculum compares to what most TE's in the OPC and PCA are receiving, and will help you to continue re-forming it.

What is the relationship between this and the Wittenberg Reformed Theological Seminary, which appears to have basically the same faculty? Is the free seminary geared more toward the layman or those preparing to be an RE whereas Wittenberg (not free but very inexpensive) aimed more at those preparing for ministry?

What is the relationship between this and the Wittenberg Reformed Theological Seminary, which appears to have basically the same faculty? Is the free seminary geared more toward the layman or those preparing to be an RE whereas Wittenberg (not free but very inexpensive) aimed more at those preparing for ministry?

The main difference is in what will be able to be taught by each.

Because TNARS is completely free we are unable to teach from modern, copyright protected texts...so the education comes mostly from older textbooks.

WRTS will be a modern school with the students paying tuition and buying their own textbooks.

WRTS is also more confessional in nature than TNARS. TNARS seeks to be more broadly Reformed.

WRTS plans on paying teachers a percentage of the tuition received in the beginning, and moving toward giving salary if the seminary expands enough to do so. Further, a long-term goal would be to set up a brick and mortar school and receive accreditation from ARTS.

Would any courses be transferable from one to the other?

That's a little harder to say. It would be up to the WRTS Board of Directors.

I would think that the courses would transfer over, but WRTS is still not fully established. We still have to create the curriculum, become incorporated, and do a few other things to be actually operational. The Board is conducting business, but it is mostly centered on getting WRTS up and running at this point...so these types of questions will take a back seat.

But again, i would think they would transfer.

Larry, this is a fair point. My advice would be for the men on the research council to dialogue with professors at seminaries such as WSC, WTS, Covenant, RTS, etc., to collect syllabi from courses and see what materials is being covered, what readings are required, etc.

You can purchase lectures of many different courses through Westminster Media: Westminster Bookstore - Reformed Books - Low Prices - $5 Shipping - Westminster Media
And you can contact the professor to request the syllabus. I just completed Dr. Gaffin's Intro to ST course with 5 men in Amarillo, and it was very profitable. Next, we are going to listen to Dr. Strimple's Doctrine of Man course, available from WSC: Westminster Seminary California Bookstore

I highly recommend you purchasing the three courses by Dr. Strimple. They each come with the course syllabus that details what is taught, what readings are required on what topics, etc...

This will give you an idea of how your current curriculum compares to what most TE's in the OPC and PCA are receiving, and will help you to continue re-forming it.

One of the things is that we can't "purchase" anything, nor do we want the student to have to purchase anything. The main goal is to have a completely free education.

One of the ways this serves the Body of Christ is in training up folks no matter what their financial status...which i believe is a biblical model. Why should only those who can afford (or afford to go into debt) be eligible for the ministry?

I question whether it's even biblical for someone to go into debt in order to enter the ministry.

After incurring a large debt for seminary, what do you think the chances are that the graduate will serve a small church in a low income area? Isn't more likely that they would seek out a church that can help them pay off their debt?

Besides that, there are places that we are serving outside of the U.S. We are currently working with a small Reformed denomination in the Bosnia/Croatia area. They have no seminary, and this would be a way to train men to minister to this small but growing denomination. They have not made a decision about TNARS, and one of the obstacles would be language, but there is an opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back