Complete : Merle d'Aubigne - History of the reformation, 4 or 5 volume set ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
Complete : Merle d\'Aubigne - History of the reformation, 4 or 5 volume set ?

At a local bookstore i saw the next set books of Merle d'Aubigne on the reformation:

- History of the Reformation. Five Volumes,
Oliver & Boyd. 1853 for $85,00

- History of the Reformation. Four Volumes
W.Collins. 1889 for $37,50

I check that the these are different edition, and both are complete. But i was wondering does these 4 or 5 volume set als included the time of Calvin or does it only includes the time of Luther ? Iam actually looking for the complete (Luther and Calvin) set. And what i have seen are the usedbooks much more cheaper than i would buy new from sprinkle.

Maybe someone can give me some information, about the 4 and 5 set, and if it is complete (Luther and Calvin) ?

In the second post you are examining the Sprinkle Pub volumes from 5-10 years ago. There are two sets, Hist. of the Ref. in the time of Luther, and Hist. of the Ref. in the time of Calvin. In various editions, the total number of bindings has fluctuated, meaning that later publications have often combined a couple volumes in one (since they are reprints, the pagination usually remains the same, so the original indexes will be usable).

The Sprinkle sets are the complete work (including all 13 volumes of the original), no sections have been omitted. The first posting may well be describing the same set, namely Luther's Reformation, by two different publishers. The first mentioned set (pub. 1853) is undoubtedly a complete set of Luther, because the eighth and final volume of Calvin's Reformation did not appear (pothsumously, in French) until 1874.

The second mentioned set (pub. 1889) could be the 8-vols-Calvin, published in 4 bindings (like the Sprinkle set). Or, it could be an incomplete/edited-reduced edition. The Calvin set was not republished (as the Luther was repubd and often edited/shortened, many times) for a century, until the Sprinkle edition.

Go ahead and get the Sprinkle, unless you just want old books. Sprinkle also published (and still has copies of) MHD's work on the Hungarian Reformation, in the same style binding as these 7.

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
In the second post you are examining the Sprinkle Pub volumes from 5-10 years ago. There are two sets, Hist. of the Ref. in the time of Luther, and Hist. of the Ref. in the time of Calvin. In various editions, the total number of bindings has fluctuated, meaning that later publications have often combined a couple volumes in one (since they are reprints, the pagination usually remains the same, so the original indexes will be usable).

The Sprinkle sets are the complete work (including all 13 volumes of the original), no sections have been omitted. The first posting may well be describing the same set, namely Luther's Reformation, by two different publishers. The first mentioned set (pub. 1853) is undoubtedly a complete set of Luther, because the eighth and final volume of Calvin's Reformation did not appear (pothsumously, in French) until 1874.

The second mentioned set (pub. 1889) could be the 8-vols-Calvin, published in 4 bindings (like the Sprinkle set). Or, it could be an incomplete/edited-reduced edition. The Calvin set was not republished (as the Luther was repubd and often edited/shortened, many times) for a century, until the Sprinkle edition.

Go ahead and get the Sprinkle, unless you just want old books. Sprinkle also published (and still has copies of) MHD's work on the Hungarian Reformation, in the same style binding as these 7.

Thanks Bruce for the information. The used older books where pretty cheap ($45,- & $20,-) comparing with the sprinkle editions of almost $201,75!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back