Compare/Contrast Whole Bible Commentaries by Matthew Henry & John Gill

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

Has anyone used both Henry's and Gill's commentaries enough to compare and assess them for me?

I own Henry's, but I have not read Gill's before.

Thanks.

To put it briefly, Gill is more technical, while Henry is more devotional. Gill will dig deeper on the harder questions of interpretation; Henry will help you apply the text.

To put it briefly, Gill is more technical, while Henry is more devotional. Gill will dig deeper on the harder questions of interpretation; Henry will help you apply the text.
That makes sense. I have found that Henry often leaves me with questions about the interpretation of a particular biblical statement, yet goes to great lengths to draw out some kind of practical application.

I'm not sure what is better for myself.

Henry's commentary on the windows of Solomon's temple (1 Kings 6), sums up his style for me:
"They were broad within, and narrow without, Such should the eyes of our mind be, reflecting nearer on ourselves than on other people, looking much within, to judge ourselves, but little without, to censure our brethren. The narrowness of the lights intimated the darkness of that dispensation, in comparison with the gospel day".
He draws devotion from the driest passage. But sometimes this can become too much and he can stretch it a bit... - so in general I prefer Gill.

I prefer Henry because when he hits it right with a devotional application, he so often says something my heart needs to hear, and it seldom takes much reading to get to one of those spots in his writing. I simply read past the places where he stretches his interpretations or starts moralizing on things incidental to the passage, and I focus instead on the good stuff, which is usually only a few lines further down. For technical help, I turn to a more modern commentary.

That makes sense. I have found that Henry often leaves me with questions about the interpretation of a particular biblical statement, yet goes to great lengths to draw out some kind of practical application.

I'm not sure what is better for myself.
Gil is for the theologian in you, while Henry is for the Christian looking to apply practical theology.
Gil is looked upon as being their version of Calvin among many reformed baptists.

I always read them both. They are both excellent. While Gill is a more straight-forward, verse by verse commentator, his comments are so full of content as to often provide many suggestive hints for preaching.

I have a problem with both men!!

I can't find a good edition of either man's commentary that isn't in tiny, tiny font size. And I have to have an actual book, not a download.

Have you seen the size of Gill's? I'm tempted to look for a microscope..

I have a problem with both men!!

I can't find a good edition of either man's commentary that isn't in tiny, tiny font size. And I have to have an actual book, not a download.

Have you seen the size of Gill's? I'm tempted to look for a microscope..

I guess everything is bigger in Texas, except the font size?

I have both along with a few other whole Bible commentaries. As far as whole Bible commentaries, I tend to start with Gill, followed By Poole, and Henry. To those who struggle with tiny text, I bought this as a solution. It has been great for the insanely tiny font of Gill, Edwards, and Polhill.

Brightech – LightView Flex 2 in 1 Version – SuperBright LED Magnifier Lamp with Clamp – Daylight Bright LED's - Energy-Saver with 1.75X Magnification (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K11G4ZW

I read both and many more using TheWord Bible Software, with nice crisp text and enlarged font of choice. I bought two of the three Poole volumes recently from Christianbook.com, but unfortunately the volumes are too difficult to read because the font is waaaaay too small, the printing is also uneven with light to nearly invisible letters, to letters that appear bold which are not meant to be. May have smeared or smudges, honestly did not inspect thoroughly, not much need with the print being so tiny. Saddens me when so little care is taken with timeless gems. At least they look nice on the outside on a shelf. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back