Communion in weddings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes; a bit early for the annually Ho-ho-ho day debate. As far as the OT holy days such as Passover, these were buried with Christ who fulfilled them so we do not go back to shadows of the reality. This was discussed in an older thread here. As for the general subject of the pretended holy days of the so called "church calendar" George Gillespie's work on the subject is good, at this link.

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by NaphtaliPress]

I too, believe they were shadows of the greater reality.

However, if one wishes to participate in it, then I see nothing wrong with it. Let God judge the person's heart.

If people want to use the old covenant in regards to baptism, then it is also ok to celebrate the old feasts of Israel. All are ok or none are ok, wouldn't you agree?

edit, I realize I am not consistent as I don't believe it is ok to practice an old covenant procedure (that being infant baptism in place of circumcision). So maybe we shouldn't participate in the Passover. I don't really want to myself, as I'm not Jewish.

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by BaptistCanuk]

Originally posted by Paul manata
I just saw this thread today.

I did partake of communion at my recent wedding.

I did question it and looked into it, I was not convinced that it was wrong.

I did ask all my elders what they thought, they didn't think it was wrong (except 1 out of 5).

I asked elders at other local reformed congregations, they didn't think it was wrong.

I asked a pastor friend of mine out in PA, he didn't think it was wrong.

I had an email exchange with Keith Mathison, who wrote one of the best and most informed books on the Lord's Supper in a long, long time, he didn't think it was wrong.

I could not find where Scripture disallowed this.

My wedding service had all the elements of a worship service.

Everyone who attended was served, the appropriate warnings were given.

Now, like with the Christmas threads, I understand that you all are weaker brothers and so I'm not trying to tell you to do it, but I'm just reminding you that the Apostle Paul sides with the stronger brother! ;) :D

Anyway, this debate is clearly a debate over conscience.
~Paul

p.s. Fred wrote:

The basic Biblical principle that I would enunciate is that the Lord's Supper is for His church, not private individuals (see WCF 29.4) and that it is to be administered by His elders, not private individuals. So I would not have the Lord's Supper in my home.

It was given to "His church" and it was "adminsitered by His elders." Indeed, everyone who served it to the people was either and ordaind teaching or ruling elder.... needless to say they also didn't have a problem.

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by Paul manata]

Paul,

If the table is fenced, if the Supper is given at a gathered, called meeting of the Church and none are excluded (i.e. I assume that you had a general invitation to the wedding in the bulletin), then I cannot see how that would be unbiblical.

There are practical concerns - e.g. how to keep unbelievers from partaking, how to keep close relatives from being offended, etc. But for me the key is the communial aspect and the fencing.

I caught only the last half of this thread, but my sense is that if the wedding is a worship service, than communion may be served at the ultimate discretion of the presiding church. Right?

Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I am having a very difficult time finding where God has replaced His Passover with Easter. If anyone knows where this is, I would be very grateful to see it.

Passover may not exist for many; however, it exists for me (this is my faith). Easter does not exist for me and we do not observe it.

I suppose the main question is why have God´s Holy Days been abolished? Was this accomplished by God Himself or by man? Where has He changed His times and laws other than what He specifies in Hebrews (priesthood and sacrifices)? I can not see where He has abolished His holy days.

With this in mind (and back to the discussion on communion), if the church does not observe the feast days and we hold communion on Sundays as well as Christmas and Easter, then how am I to have communion on the days I consider sanctified unless I do this myself at an individual level?

I would be more concerned about the pagan influence and devil worship centered around Easter and Christmas than I would be about Passover. I still question 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 and Matthew 12:38-40 as it relates to a Friday death and Sunday resurrection (it simply does not fit). As a result, I can not ignore the biblical facts concerning the matter and adhere to a human tradition that I was raised with.

Christ is our Passover and this is commemorated with the Lord's Supper. I don't believe anyone stated that "Easter replaces the Passover".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back