Common objections to EP.

Discussion in 'A capella Exclusive Psalmody' started by Andrew P.C., Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew P.C.

Andrew P.C. Puritan Board Junior

After reading though a thread that involved the question of dancing and instruments, I came across two very common objections:

First, let's deal with the "no office" argument. There seems to be a misconception of who wrote these songs. It should be evident that prophets or the gift of prophecy was a requirement for composing song for worship.

Secondly, we deal with the "repeat" argument. Using different words to talk about the same thing is not a foreign concept in scripture.

Thirdly, there are many historical testimonies and interpretations to conclude the second point more clearly. Here are just a few:

For a more comprehensive review of certain objections, see here:

https://renopres.com/2016/04/10/review-exclusive-psalmody-or-new-covenant-hymnody-by-lee-irons/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Ryan J. Ross

Ryan J. Ross Puritan Board Freshman

This may seem like a minor point with which not all EP adherents might agree, but the synecdoche in triadic expression is a given (in my opinion) amongst most interlocutors. The argument would be that he was referring to the Septuagint rendering of psalms, hymns, and songs in the superscripts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Cymro

Cymro Puritan Board Junior

Even the headings of a number of Psalms which I believe the Jewish doctors considered inspired, use the terms hymns ,songs and Psalms interchangeably, but also use two of the terms and occasionaly three to describe the composition. See Psalm 75, 76, 83,65, 66,etc. Then there are the Songs of degrees from 120 to 134 which are not called Psalms but solely Songs. The use of hymn in the title is found in Ps 64 in the Septuagint, as also in Ps 22:22," in the midst of the church I will sing praise(hymn) unto Thee". This is used in Hebrews 2:12 of Christ the leader of praise in the church worship through His union with His body. And it would be absurd to put human composition into the lips of the Word himself. The Word singing praise through the worship of the Saints. It's not the precentor or the Minister that leads the praise, but Christ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.