Commentary recommendations for Psalm 51

Discussion in 'OT Wisdom Literature' started by timfost, Mar 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Junior

Hi all,

I will be teaching the the next two Sundays on Psalm 51. What are you favorite commentaries?

As always, thank you for your recommendations!

2. Taylor Sexton

Taylor Sexton Puritan Board Junior

My first choice is and always will be Calvin. I have told many people that I never consider myself to have thoroughly considered a passage until I have read Calvin’s comments on it.

3. timfost

Yes, I feel the same way. I already started reading Calvin on this passage!

Thanks!

4. Reformed Bookworm

Reformed Bookworm Puritan Board Junior

Are you using Logos or looking to purchase physical books?

5. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator Staff Member

6. Reformed Bookworm

Spurgeon is great but I would choose Plumer without a doubt.

7. timfost

E-books preferably, since my bookshelves are bursting at the seams! :)

8. Reformed Bookworm

9. Reformed Bookworm

I can also pull some stuff from my Logos library if you need further expositions on any part or renderings from other translations.

10. timfost

I will let you know, thank you so much!

BTW, I just finished teaching on Colossians and your John Eadie recommendation was my favorite. Quite an amazing work, and a wonderful recommendation!

11. Reformed Bookworm

Praise God! I am glad you enjoyed it, brother. Eadie is my favorite commentator on Pauline epistles.

12. Stephen L Smith

13. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Doctor

Derek Kidner.

14. Charles Johnson

Charles Johnson Puritan Board Freshman

15. Reformed Bookworm

I was going to add Dickson today! Good call.

16. psycheives

psycheives Puritan Board Freshman

17. Reformed Bookworm

18. Ed Walsh

Ed Walsh Puritan Board Junior

Hi Tim, and all,

Don't forget E. W. Hengstenberg. I am going through the Psalms with him right now. I attached a PDF of Psalm 51. His commentary is 38 pages long, verse by verse after a large overview which deals with technical terms and more. Devotional gems are here and there throughout.

Ed

Attached Files:

19. Jeri Tanner

Jeri Tanner Moderator Staff Member

20. Ed Walsh

Below is a short example of his style.

This morning I was going through Psalm 16, and on verse 2, "O my soul, you have said to the Lord, You are my Lord, My goodness is nothing apart from You,” The author translates the verse thusly,
    "Ver. 2. (O my soul) thou sayest to Jehovah, Thou art my Lord, my salvation is not without Thee."
    In the exposition of verse 2, the made the following (typical) comment on the trust that David had in God I thought was very edifying.​

The consequence of this is, that the soul, having again become conscious of itself, “rejoices and is glad,” in the sure expectation of God’s salvation, ver. 9. Such interlocutions, in which the sacred bards still and pacify their souls, like a child weaned by his mother, Ps. 131:3, have something indescribably moving and touching. The first expression of trust in the true God is this, that we say to Him, “Thou art the Lord;” the uncontrolled ruler over all in heaven and on earth; the possessor of all power; the dispenser of all safety; the One, without whom not a hair of our head can fall, who holds every breath of those who threaten us with destruction; the almighty Lord, whom heaven and earth obey; the supreme God, who has, and can do everything. “Who is it that orders all things? Who distributes all gifts? It is God; and He also is the One who can supply counsel and aid when we are ready to sink.”​

Hengstenberg, E. W. (1869). Commentary on the Psalms (Vol. 1, p. 235). Edinburgh: T&T Clark.

21. Jake

Jake Puritan Board Junior

Here's a 2nd for Kidner.

22. Don Kistler

Don Kistler Puritan Board Sophomore

Arthur Hildersham has a massive commentary on Psalm 51. You could probably locate a copy on EEBO (Early English Books Online) at a good research library. Or perhaps it's on google.com/books.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  23. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

Ed, was that work translated by the Irish Presbyterian OT scholar, James Gracie Murphy?

24. Reformed Covenanter

To answer my own question, it would appear that they employed different translators for the various volumes of the commentary. Patrick Fairbairn was the one who would have translated Psalm 51 (see pp 182ff).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  25. Reformed Covenanter

26. Stephen L Smith

Van Gemeren is one of the leading modern commentaries on the Psalms

27. Ed Walsh

Hi Daniel,

Sadly, the version I have is devoid of all front matter. It goes from the title page to Psalm 1. I don't have time today to look into this further; Gladly, I have loads of work in front of me. You could download the link I put up in this post. It has the title page. Interesting: I got three "likes" but so far no one has looked at the sample I uploaded.

How are you doing?

Ed

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  28. timfost

Working on it! :)

29. Reformed Covenanter

Thanks, Ed. My old supervisor, Dr Andrew R. Holmes, mentions Murphy as one of the translators in his new book The Irish Presbyterian Mind.

30. KMK

KMK Administrator Staff Member

I have been loving Grogan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.