Commentary Recomendations: The Gospel of Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathco

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hi Folks, I've endeavored to dive deep into the Gospel of Matthew this year, and I am thinking I'd like to pick up another commentary or two as I begin my studies.

I am just getting started with the following commentaries.
  • Matthew Henry's Commentary
  • Preaching the Word (Matthew), by Douglas Sean O'Donnell, R. Kent Hughes
  • Expository Thoughts on the Gospel of Matthew, by J.C. Ryle
I am looking to move thoroughly and slowly through Matthew this year. Any other "must haves" for Matthew's gospel?

Maybe Calvin as well? I can attest to the JC Ryle one being very good though.
I've enjoyed Ryle's straight-forward commentary so far. Very readable. I'll look into securing Calvin's; it appears his covers Matthew, Mark, and Luke in one volume.
Tim Challies has one of the best lists for modern commentaries. See https://www.challies.com/resources/best-commentaries-on-matthew/

I agree about the value of Calvin and Ryle's commentaries. There is also CH Spurgeon's commentary on Matthew. This was the last book he wrote before he died. His wife helped finish it. It may be a spiritually profitable exercise to compare Spurgeon and Ryle side by side.
Interesting; I did not know Matthew was Spurgeon's last commentary. I'll check it out.

I've enjoyed Ryle's straight-forward commentary so far. Very readable. I'll look into securing Calvin's; it appears his covers Matthew, Mark, and Luke in one volume.

Interesting; I did not know Matthew was Spurgeon's last commentary. I'll check it out.
For the Calvin commentary, you can actually get the entire thing for very cheap in ebook form on Amazon:

If you are looking for exegetical commentaries, I recommend (in order) Dale Allison ICC, RT France NICNT, Craig Keener Socio-rhetorical

David Garland has a wonderfully compact but insightful commentary called Reading Matthew that I would highly recommend, as well as the much larger work by Knox Chamblin in the Mentor series (2 volumes) for more detailed work, in addition to the suggestions mentioned above.

I finished J. C. Ryle on Matthew fairly recently and I am currently reading him on Mark. After I am finished Mark, I will read him on Luke as well (having finished John a couple of months ago). While Ryle's Expository Thoughts are not critical commentaries and will not help those delving into the Greek, they are of immense help to the ordinary Christian who wants to learn the basic doctrinal and practical lessons from the passages in question. The only downside is that Ryle did not write similar expository thoughts on the entire Bible. Then again, perhaps it is a case of less is more?

The only downside is that Ryle did not write similar expository thoughts on the entire Bible. Then again, perhaps it is a case of less is more?
He makes the comment in his expository thoughts on the gospels that he intended to follow this with expository comments on the book of Acts. I have not been able to find his expository comments on Acts. I assume he died before he got onto them?

He makes the comment in his expository thoughts on the gospels that he intended to follow this with expository comments on the book of Acts. I have not been able to find his expository comments on Acts. I assume he died before he got onto them?
I suspect so. I wouldn't be surprised if practically everything he wrote has ended up being reprinted. Expository Thoughts on John was published in 1869 and he lived for another 30 years. Evidently he abandoned that idea.

Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Studies in the Sermon on the Mount, is worthwhile. Basically commentary length on that section.

So I just got around to actually installing this app on my phone, and so far I'm impressed! Fantastic little app!
I am glad you found it useful. I probably take it for granted too often, but it's quite incredible how much info I can quickly and easy pull up, just on my phone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.