Commentary on the Book of Psalms Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I realize that many, if not most, of you know about this already, but allow me to put in a plug.

In my daily devotional reading, I'm reading through the Book of Psalms, and I'm using the late Derek Kidner's two-volume commentary (Volume 1, covering Psalms 1-72, published in 1973; Volume 2, covering Psalms 73-150, published in 1975). Kidner died in 2008, at 95.

This commentary has reached legendary status in some quarters, and it's not hard to see why. His comments are pithy and very much to the point. And his comments are crammed with theology to go with his exposition. I've been truly blessed by using this commentary.

Here's one brief example:

"The self-righteous attacks on Moses' spiritual and temporal leadership in Numbers 16.3, 13 are unmasked in the simple words, men. . .were jealous. Such directness is as characteristic of Scripture as are the elaborate self-justifications of men. There is a close parallel in another brief summary, 'it was out of envy,' in Matthew 27.18." Commenting on Psalm 106.16-18.

These volumes were originally part of the Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries series. Although Kidner has been replaced by Tremper Longman in that series, IVP has wisely kept Kidner's commentary in print as a stand-alone publication. And Longman himself has high praise for Kidner's work. Kidner's volumes may be more than 40 years old now, but they are definitely not out of date.

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and acquire this commentary. You won't be sorry.

Highly recommended!

I realize that many, if not most, of you know about this already, but allow me to put in a plug.

In my daily devotional reading, I'm reading through the Book of Psalms, and I'm using the late Derek Kidner's two-volume commentary (Volume 1, covering Psalms 1-72, published in 1973; Volume 2, covering Psalms 73-150, published in 1975). Kidner died in 2008, at 95.

This commentary has reached legendary status in some quarters, and it's not hard to see why. His comments are pithy and very much to the point. And his comments are crammed with theology to go with his exposition. I've been truly blessed by using this commentary.

Here's one brief example:

"The self-righteous attacks on Moses' spiritual and temporal leadership in Numbers 16.3, 13 are unmasked in the simple words, men. . .were jealous. Such directness is as characteristic of Scripture as are the elaborate self-justifications of men. There is a close parallel in another brief summary, 'it was out of envy,' in Matthew 27.18." Commenting on Psalm 106.16-18.

These volumes were originally part of the Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries series. Although Kidner has been replaced by Tremper Longman in that series, IVP has wisely kept Kidner's commentary in print as a stand-alone publication. And Longman himself has high praise for Kidner's work. Kidner's volumes may be more than 40 years old now, but they are definitely not out of date.

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and acquire this commentary. You won't be sorry.

Highly recommended!

My wife and I started going through the Psalms as devotions. How would this be for that purpose? I am looking for something short and pithy that wouldn't be too long of an exposition on each Psalm.

My wife and I started going through the Psalms as devotions. How would this be for that purpose? I am looking for something short and pithy that wouldn't be too long of an exposition on each Psalm.

Derek Kidner would be perfect for that purpose. He discusses the Hebrew, but not too deeply, given his space restraints. But, theologically, his remarks are quite. . .well. . .remarkable. I don't think you'll be sorry if you use his work.

Derek Kidner would be perfect for that purpose. He discusses the Hebrew, but not too deeply, given his space restraints. But, theologically, his remarks are quite. . .well. . .remarkable. I don't think you'll be sorry if you use his work.
Generally, how long are the expositions? Could you possibly take a screenshot or photo of one and post it? Thanks for your help.

Generally, how long are the expositions? Could you possibly take a screenshot or photo of one and post it? Thanks for your help.

It varies, depending on the length of the psalm, of course, but he covers most of the psalms in 2-4 pages. His exposition of Psalm 119 is 14 pages long, for obvious reasons. But, as I said, he covers most of them in 2-4 pages. He was a genius at compact, compressed expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back