Commentary on Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed 78

Puritan Board Freshman

I found Doug Wilson’s commentary on Revelation extremely helpful. Whether or not you come to the same conclusions as him (orthodox preterism) which I personally have, you still have to admit it’s title is the best title ever for a commentary on Revelation especially if your a fan of Johnny Cash lol! ‘WHEN THE MAN COMES AROUND’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree being a preterist myself but still I am more looking forward to Dr. Gentrys commentary. Are there any infos weather this is out yet?
Wilsons commentary is alright, it is not very precise but maybe a good start if one just starts to study the book of Revelation.

I agree this commentary is a good one for those seeking to understand the position. It is written in a format that is easy to understand as well. If Gentry is writing one though, I imagine that will be good too.

I agree being a preterist myself but still I am more looking forward to Dr. Gentrys commentary. Are there any infos weather this is out yet?
Wilsons commentary is alright, it is not very precise but maybe a good start if one just starts to study the book of Revelation.

Last word on this (updated November 1, 2021) is that Gentry hopes to have it released this May:

BTW, you can go to Tolle Lege Press and sign up to get notified when it is released.

Last edited:
While I am opposed to preterism, I imagine Gentry's commentary will be exponentially better in terms of analysis and scholarship. There is a divide in preterism. Is the Beast Nero (Gentry, Bahnsen, Sproul) or is it Caiaphas (James Jordan, Leithart, probably Gary Demar)? The former has the advantage of sort of being relevant to the Roman Empire, but it is open to several devastating lines of critique. The latter largely escapes those lines of critique, but it suffers from being just plain bizarre and having not external evidence.

If this derails too much, ignore, but how does the preterist view that must have the book written before 70 AD deal with the disconnect that Ephesus and Timothy the pastor should have fallen into the condition of that church in just about the same time as 2 Timothy? Maybe there's a simple answer; it's just something that has occurred to me.

If this derails too much, ignore, but how does the preterist view that must have the book written before 70 AD deal with the disconnect that Ephesus and Timothy the pastor should have fallen into the condition of that church in just about the same time as 2 Timothy? Maybe there's a simple answer; it's just something that has occurred to me.
This is a good catch, Chris. The other big one in my mind in terms of internal evidence is that John and Paul (certainly Timothy) would have been contemporary or near-miss co-laborers in the Asian churches yet there is no evidence anywhere that they ever crossed paths save in Jerusalem. Surely with Paul’s habit of “name-dropping” it would have come up!

There is a divide in preterism. Is the Beast Nero (Gentry, Bahnsen, Sproul)
If I recall correctly, didn’t Bahnsen view the beast not so much Nero the person but Nero the concept? Unlike Gentry, he didn’t restrict Revelation so much to the fall of Jerusalem (although he did find it there) but to the fall of Rome. The book wasn’t confined to 66-70 AD but played out over the course of next several hundred years.

If I recall correctly, didn’t Bahnsen view the beast not so much Nero the person but Nero the concept? Unlike Gentry, he didn’t restrict Revelation so much to the fall of Jerusalem (although he did find it there) but to the fall of Rome. The book wasn’t confined to 66-70 AD but played out over the course of next several hundred years.

That actually sounds right.

Yeah, I would definitely be interested in reading Gentry as well

This is interesting I think that Jay Adams held something similar. I haven’t read any of Bahnsen yet, perhaps I will

I found Doug Wilson’s commentary on Revelation extremely helpful. Whether or not you come to the same conclusions as him (orthodox preterism) which I personally have, you still have to admit it’s title is the best title ever for a commentary on Revelation especially if your a fan of Johnny Cash lol! ‘WHEN THE MAN COMES AROUND’

In answer to the OP, I am not a fan of Preterism, but I am of the Man in Black. It is obvious that Wilson is too, and that he has influence with his publisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back