Commentary on "Paradise Lost"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
If any of you has read, or is thinking of reading, John Milton's Paradise Lost, I have a great commentary for you. It's called Milton's Creation: A Guide Through Paradise Lost by Harry Blamires (London: Methuen & Co., Ltd., 1971). It's about 300 pages long.

Blamires is a clear writer with an engaging style. He explains each section of each of the 12 books of this great poem, explaining how Milton uses language to get his points across. I've read the book almost to the end of his commentary on Book 6 and I'm loving it. He really makes the poem make sense; he makes it easy to make sense not only of the poetic form, but also of Milton's 17th century English.

Naturally, the book is out of print, as far as I know. But a decent-sized library should have it. Amazon, too, probably.

I very much recommend it!

Here is a website on Milton's works from my former college professor; although an unbeliever he is considered a scholar/expert in Milton's works:

John Milton's Prose Works

Caution! One must be a strong believer before reading some of these works from secular critics/scholars/experts (so called, whatever!), since most are unbelievers who are "always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth" (2 Tim. 3:7).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back