Commentary Fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SynodOfDort

Puritan Board Freshman
Ah... the geeky Seminarian comes out in me :)

Borrowed from Steve Hemmeke's blog...

Here is some commentary fun, from studying the Ten Commandments. Each writer has his own style that annoys or endears.
This is meant as light hearted fun, exaggerating their style and/or content for comedic effect. No offense is intended to any of these men, who far surpass me in wisdom.

Charles Hodge - the principle is evident, even from the conscience and natural reason.

Thomas Watson - the commandment has eight parts and six uses...

Rushdoony - this commandment shows the evils of the over-reaching state, and why the government should not be involved in education. A return to Biblical Law is the answer to our problems.

a Brakel - we see this commandment violated in 1 Sam 16:1; 2 Kings 3:5; Ecc 5:3; Deut 25:24, enjoined in Deut 25:24....

Herman Hoeksema - THERE IS NO COMMON GRACE!!!!

Can YOU think of any others to add to this? Any theologian can be used, not necessarily a noted commentator :D

The offence might be in making "light hearted fun" of something so serious. If the commandments were felt in their spiritual and evangelical force one might feel foolish for making fun of that which shows us our sin and need of the Saviour.

The offence might be in making "light hearted fun" of something so serious. If the commandments were felt in their spiritual and evangelical force one might feel foolish for making fun of that which shows us our sin and need of the Saviour.

:ditto: As an admirer of Rushdoony and Bahnsen, I do feel that the law has a very serious position in the Christian life. Perhaps the only reason I found this humorous was because I had just finished reading Rushdoony's Institutes and had to laugh of the accuracy of the statement :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back