Commentaries on the Seven Churches of Asia Minor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett McKinley

Puritan Board Freshman
While preaching on the 7 Churches of Asia Minor, my favorite commentators have been: 1. William Tong (in the Matthew Henry commentary). 2. John Stott: What Christ Thinks of the Church. 3. E.W. Hengstenberg's commentary found on books.google.com.

Have you looked at the Banner of Truth title in their Geneva Commentary series?:

Ramsey, James B., The book of Revelation : an exposition of the first eleven chapters originally published under the title The Spiritual Kingdom.
Edinburgh; Carlisle, Pa.: Banner of Truth Trust, 1977.

I have just begun reading James Durham's massive commentary on Revelation Excellent stuff! I cannot commend it highly enough.

Is that THE Brett McKinley?! I didn't know you were on PB! This is Adam from Downing's church. I don't go by my surname for anonymity :)

I know his theology is suspect to say the least and if you will forgive me for even mentioning him on the PB but in terms of background information Willie Barclay is good. JB Ramsey in the Geneva series is another good commentary. I also have a little gem of a book by RM M'Cheyne entitled The Seven Churches of Asia by Christian Focus Publications.

This is one of the best works on the this topic I know:

Colin J. Hemer, The Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia in Their Local Setting (Sheffield: JSOT, 1986).

This is one of the best works on the this topic I know:

Colin J. Hemer, The Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia in Their Local Setting (Sheffield: JSOT, 1986).

I would echo Dr. Clark's recommendation, and further note that this volume has been reprinted in a much less expensive paperback edition, published by Eerdmans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back