Commentaries on the Heidelberg Catechism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
I have thought for some time of purchasing Vandergroe's "The Christian’s Only Comfort in Life and Death: An Exposition of the Heidelberg Catechism", but I was aware there were other prized commentaries such as Bethune's "Guilt, Grace and Gratitude: Lectures on the Heidelberg Catechism". I am looking for a devotional/ sermon based commentary. How does Vandergroe fit in relation to other commentaries on the Catechism?

I have thought for some time of purchasing Vandergroe's "The Christian’s Only Comfort in Life and Death: An Exposition of the Heidelberg Catechism", but I was aware there were other prized commentaries such as Bethune's "Guilt, Grace and Gratitude: Lectures on the Heidelberg Catechism". I am looking for a devotional/ sermon based commentary. How does Vandergroe fit in relation to other commentaries on the Catechism?

Get VanderGroe. His commentary fits what you are looking for to a tee.
He passed cum laude from Leiden in the era of the Nadere Reformatie. VanderGroe's theology is Dutch Reformed, expositions are faithful, and he writes in an experiential tone.

He was the long stronghold of the Nadere Reformatie.

I started rereading it as part of a Heidelberg study that I am doing.

Here is a quote I share recently
https://www.puritanboard.com/thread...-hallow-the-fathers-name-t-vandergroe.101891/

@Reformed Covenanter has shared a few quotes. Here are a few:

https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/the-way-of-sharp-thorns-theodorus-vandergroe.100368/

To perfect the salvation of His children, it pleases the Lord to lead them in this life along a pathway of cross-bearing and afflictions—both physically and spiritually. Here below they are in the church militant, and they must daily learn to die to themselves in a way of struggle and cross-bearing. Many are the afflictions of the righteous (Ps. 34:19). The manner in which one is called to travel to heaven is a way that is filled with sharp thorns.

Theodorus VanderGroe, The Christian's Only Comfort in Life and Death: An Exposition of the Heidelberg Catechism, trans. Bartel Elshout, ed. Joel R. Beeke (2 vols, Grand Rapids MI: Reformation Heritage Books, 2016), 1: 5-6.

&

https://reformedcovenanter.wordpres...ergroe-on-god-as-mans-only-source-of-comfort/

&

https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/guilt-grace-and-gratitude-theodorus-vandergroe.100879/

&

https://www.puritanboard.com/thread...nty-in-salvation-theodorus-vandergroe.100367/

Get VanderGroe. His commentary fits what you are looking for to a tee.
He passed cum laude from Leiden in the era of the Nadere Reformatie.
Thank you Robert. That was very informative.

A couple of things:
Firstly, do you know if RHB is still successfully sending shipments overseas during this COVID 19 situation?
Secondly, I have decided to purchase it. I ordered it from an Australian bookshop; shipments are still working between Australia and New Zealand.

I am excited to learn more of the spiritual richness of the Nadere Reformatie and the contribution VanderGroe made to that.

Oh, and Bethune's is not a complete commentary. He died before completing it. The last lectures is upon Lord's Day 38, the Fourth Commandment.

Thank you Robert. That was very informative.

A couple of things:
Firstly, do you know if RHB is still successfully sending shipments overseas during this COVID 19 situation?
Secondly, I have decided to purchase it. I ordered it from an Australian bookshop; shipments are still working between Australia and New Zealand.

I am excited to learn more of the spiritual richness of the Nadere Reformatie and the contribution VanderGroe made to that.

We are still shipping. It is a very barebones crew, three people. They are plenty spread out in our large building. We can have the bare minimum staff there to maintain the basic functions. I can tell you the crew that is in the office are very cautious.
I can check on the international shipping situation tomorrow. I've been working from home the last two weeks.

We are still shipping.
Robert, my question was more specific. Are you still shipping overseas? Are there any issues shipping overseas? I live on the opposite side of the globe to you. We live "down under" :) I find it a blessing to shop at RHB but want to ensure in these uncertain times the books arrive at my home.
As I previously stated, I am doing a study on the Heidelberg; I would be happy to share my reading list with you.
My main interest at present is studying the Heidelberg devotionally (my academic study at present is on Vos). If the reading list includes any devotional material I certainly would be interested. Thank you very much.

I would recommend Vander Kemp's commentary as well. I have heard great praise of Vander Groe. Of course, as commentaries go, nothing can match Ursinus, really.

Robert, my question was more specific. Are you still shipping overseas? Are there any issues shipping overseas?

I can check on the international shipping situation tomorrow. I've been working from home for the last two weeks.

I do not work in the bookstore so I am not in the loop on shipping. I sent an email to get an answer for your question.

I would recommend Vander Kemp's commentary as well. I have heard great praise of Vander Groe. Of course, as commentaries go, nothing can match Ursinus, really.

I recommended VanderGroe over Ursinus because he specifically said devotional. VanderGroe has that over Ursinus. Beyond that, I would agree with you. There is no substitution for Ursinus.
I just started Vander Kemp's work, The Christian Entirely the Property of Christ. Sadly, it has long been out of print. RHB published it in the 90's. It is only available online.

I found Ursinus to be tremendously devotional. But then, I have never been a fan of the whole devotional/theological divide to begin with. I agree with Lewis on this.

I agree with Lewis on this.
Hey Lane you are a moderator and agree with someone who deviates from the doctrinal standards of the Puritan Board in significant ways? What do other moderators think? :stirpot:

Perhaps the word devotional was not the best choice on my part. I meant a work that was theological but not "dry"- ie, would feed both mind and heart. Both the Puritans and the Nadere Reformatie men were very good at this.

I found Ursinus to be tremendously devotional. But then, I have never been a fan of the whole devotional/theological divide to begin with. I agree with Lewis on this.

I did as well, but he also specified sermons. Given his parameters, my first inclination was VanderGroe. His commentary is theological, devotional sermons. VanderGroe fits the bill better of the OP. That in no way negates from my high regard for Ursinus's commentary. Its importance needs no defense.

Perhaps the word devotional was not the best choice on my part. I meant a work that was theological but not "dry"- ie, would feed both mind and heart. Both the Puritans and the Nadere Reformatie men were very good at this.

I still stand by VanderGroe for your specified parameters. By no means neglect Ursinus. Make it a goal to add him to your list for a future read.

Are you familiar with The Seed? It currently has 486 sermons on the Heidelberg Catechism. They're perhaps not as polished as some of the ones published in the books mentioned above, but you might still find something useful.
Thanks Wes. As you will know our church put out a very useful book "The Creeds and Confessions of the Reformed Churches of New Zealand" - I especially love their edition of the Heidelberg Catechism. I was wanting a basic aid to use theologically/devotionally when reading the HC and VanderGroe looked ideal for that purpose. Also I hope to use it to help church members to read the HC regularly.

I agree http://www.heidelberg-catechism.com/en/ is a helpful resource site. I have made good use of it at various times.

Stephen - let me echo others here: VanderGroe (pronounced "vandergrew," by the way) is just the guy you're looking for.

Is Joel Beeke still working on publishing his Heidelberg Catechism Sermons? I have found those to be very devotional. I have them in these spiral bound books. But it would also be nice to have them in a nice hardcover. Also, if you search for Beeke's catechism sermons on Sermon Audio, they are very similar.

Other books on the subject that I have are:
- "The True Faith" by S.G. De Graaf
- "The Heidelberg Catechism" by Rev. G. Van Reenen
- "The Good News We Almost Forgot" by Kevin DeYoung

Is Joel Beeke still working on publishing his Heidelberg Catechism Sermons? I have found those to be very devotional. I have them in these spiral bound books. But it would also be nice to have them in a nice hardcover. Also, if you search for Beeke's catechism sermons on Sermon Audio, they are very similar.

We still publish them in spiral bound. I've tried to talk Dr. Beeke into putting these into hardcover. He feels they would need some work first. There is simply no time whilst he is in the midst of writing his massive Reformed Systematic Theology.

I am looking for a devotional/ sermon based commentary. How does Vandergroe fit in relation to other commentaries on the Catechism?

Did anyone mention G.I. Williamson's commentary? I have it but I've only skimmed it.

The Heidelberg Catechism: A Study Guide: G. I. Williamson: 9780875525518

Dr. R. Scott Clark, at Westminster Theological Seminary in California, is writing a two-volume commentary on the Heidelberger. It will be published. . .one of these days (perhaps in a year or two?).

There is also Herman Hoeksema's commentary on the Heidelberger, The Triple Knowledge. I used to own it but never read it. I have access to an ebook version, so I do not need the hard-copies (my space is very limited). While there is probably plenty of good material therein, I suspect that it tells you more about Herman Hoeksema than it does about the Heidelberg Catechism. I say that because some of his views are irreconcilable with the original intent of the catechism, as those who have read Zacharias Ursinus's commentary are aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back