Commenatry on Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reena Wilms

Puritan Board Freshman
Which commentary would you recomend me on the book of Revelation (prefer from a amillenian standpiont of view) ?

Is forexample James Durham on Revelation a good commenary ?

Ralph

I would definitely give a heart 'amen' to Patrick's recommendations! I haven't read Durham's but have heard good things about it.

Grace,
Dwayne

[quote:1017bfd467][i:1017bfd467]Originally posted by Paul manata[/i:1017bfd467]
[quote:1017bfd467][i:1017bfd467]Originally posted by Scott[/i:1017bfd467]
BTW, David Chilton's Paradise Restored is good and have a high-level overview of Revelation. It is available free online at:
www.freebooks.com

Scott [/quote:1017bfd467]

what do you think of Bahnsen's criticism of Chilton?

Also, what do you think of Chilton becomming a hyper-preterist before he died??? [/quote:1017bfd467]

I had dinner with Bahnsen once and mentioned that I was teaching a series on Revelation. He asked me what materials I was using and I said I was using Chilton's commentary on Revelation (and some other commentaries). He was very kind in his response, but it basically was "why would you ever use that?"

I must admit that I have become less fond of Chilton the more I have studied. I think he and James Jordan come from the same maximalist interpretive school.

Paul: As I recall, Bahnsen criticized Chilton's Days of Vengeance, which is more extensive than Paradise Restored. I think if you go through it, you will find that it is mostly basic Reformed theology (ex. the kingdom is spiritual, not a future dispensational thing envisioned by pre-mils, etc.).

I am fond of Bahnsen and have benefited from his teaching a great deal. I can't count the number of his tapes I have listened to. Yet, his weakness in my opinion was in typology. Go through his tapes on the first couple chapters of Hebrews. He was akward with the the highly typological quotations from the Old Testament. The author very naturally took quotations from the OT and applied them to Jesus, even though in their original context, Jesus does not appear to be the subject. That is fine for a typological mindset, which in my opinion he did nothave.

Chilton was more focused on typology and similar matters. I did not Bahnsen's criticisms accurate or persuasive.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back